Close

Bitcoin and 3D Printing to Usher in Major Economic Paradigm Shift

This is an article I wrote about the coming economic changes associated with both Bitcoin and 3D Printing.

http://3dprint.com/bitcoin-and-3d-pr...omic-paradigm/

In the article I go into detail about why both new platforms will lead to major changes, for the better in most cases, within the economy.

I agree, that both Bitcoin and 3D Printing can help us take big steps forward. However, both also could be extremely dangerous if not regulated properly.

Funny how so many vaunted "paradigm shifts" seldom quite 'manifest', leastwise in the ways that many New Age optimists seem to imagine. But cool and "Star Trek-y" as they are, IMHO 3D printers are really more analogous to the steady trend over the past couple decades for formerly expensive, bulky, hi-end industrial processes (like TIG welding, plasma cutters, CNC machines, etc.), to gradually become smaller, cheaper and more accessible to consumers and hobbyists.

And even then, all these tools always require a certain amount of knowledge and skill to do anything useful. So just because I can now buy a cheap & portable plasma cutter down at Home Depot or Harbor Freight, doesn't mean I don't need to know how to use it! Similarly, where even an inkjet printer requires that you can at least type a letter in a word processing app… any 3D printer will still require that you at least have some knowledge of 3D modeling software to actually create anything original…. much less order "tea, Earl Grey, hot!"