Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much to build a RepRap on Average?

Does anyone know the average costs of building your own RepRap? I'm seriously considering building one, as I love the idea and have heard nothing but great things about it.

Derek

Student
    You can build one for as little as $300. On average, you should expect to pay $500-$600 dollars first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo1212 View Post
    You can build one for as little as $300. On average, you should expect to pay $500-$600 dollars first time.
    And how would you say this $500-$600 model would compare to the leading printers by Makerbot and such? How would it compare with a Replicator 2?

Follow RP Iron Man On Twitter Add RP Iron Man on Facebook Add RP Iron Man on Google+ Add RP Iron Man on Thingiverse
    @MattSteiner

For reference, I have built a few semi-custom Prusa I2 printers for about $600 with print quality comparable to that of the Makerbot printers. Of course the build volume is not as large and it cannot print as fast (doe to the lack of stability of the Prusa I2 design) but my prints look great. The key here is to spend your money where it counts: GT2 belts and pulleys, and precision linear rails.

BTW, makerbots are definitely NOT the leading printers...

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by RP Iron Man View Post
    @MattSteiner

Eric
    I'll second this one. My Prusa i3, fine tuned and with the Bowden Cable upgrade can give the makerbots a run for their money. Not to say it isn't a great piece of tech or that my Prusa i3 is leading tech, but price doesn't always = quality.

Student
    True... RepRap is how I/we say under $600...

Quote Originally Posted by RP Iron Man View Post
    @MattSteiner

For reference, I have built a few semi-custom Prusa I2 printers for about $600 with print quality comparable to that of the Makerbot printers. Of course the build volume is not as large and it cannot print as fast (doe to the lack of stability of the Prusa I2 design) but my prints look great. The key here is to spend your money where it counts: GT2 belts and pulleys, and precision linear rails.

Eric

Student
    Makerbot has the best marketing department ;-)
    I'm currently reccomending a Prinrbot kit, as it's hard to self-source and make some of the parts yourself without a shop, and then you can still take it appart to build a reprap.
    I compared the cheap reprapworld parts and the printrbot simple, tough to get it as cheap, though of course if one want's to diy just because it's neat to do so, that's a valid way, and a reprap prusa will be simple and more versatile then a cheaper kit...
    depends on what's more importaint, price, tinkering, or printing...

I'm in the process of building a new RepRap now, and it will be what I consider "Top of the line". It is costing me approximately $850. I could easily build one for $200 if I really wanted to though. It just wouldn't be quite as good of a printer though.

I would recommend a Makerfarm prusa i3 kit,

One of the best reprap printers (Well bang for buck ^^)
    And its very complete, very easy to build, great instructions and fantastic support ^^

Quote Originally Posted by DrLuigi View Post
    I would recommend a Makerfarm prusa i3 kit,

One of the best reprap printers (Well bang for buck ^^)
    And its very complete, very easy to build, great instructions and fantastic support ^^
    Agreed! Cheap and great quality. Can't beat that really.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast