Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse

Hyrel Prints PEEK Today.

We printed this spiral vase in PEEK today on our Hyrel 3D System 30M with the MK1-350 print head, which prints at up to 400C and also prints with polycarbonate.

That's the MK1-350 above the vase.

What is the size there. Difficult to tell.

And a PEEK Vase? Isn't that the definition over over-engineered?

Staff Engineer
    A) 49mm tall.

B) Yes.

The twisted vase makes a good 'material comparison' piece. I've got some parts in the queue for which PEEK would actually be needed, and it's pretty exciting to be able to print those.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    This is the typical spiral vase, scaled to 50%, so yes, about 2" or 50mm tall. I gather that Feign actually broke out the calipers on this one - thanks, Feighn.

Since we test each head before shipping, we're going to be going through some PEEK anyway.

And yes, I like to be able to show people the same part done with different materials.

Engineer
    So how is peek to print? Does it warp bad? Hard to keep stuck to the platform? What material do you print it on?

Didn't notice this before but that's a massive brim! 25mm or thereabouts, right?

Out of curiosity, what slicer are your using?

That brim is probably 15 or 20 milimeters - we weren't sure how well it would adhere to the build surface.

We use the latest Slic3r. Users may use any slicer they like, but the user must manage the configuration of other slicers; we only offer support for Slic3r recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    We use the latest Slic3r. Users may use any slicer they like, but the user must manage the configuration of other slicers; we only offer support for Slic3r recipes.
    I could never get Slic3r to work. Pity really, has some useful features...

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    more importantly where did you buy the peek ?

Last thread i saw it was hundreds of dollars a spool - and nobody sold it :-)

Got an email this morning - there's a new polycarbonate filament out that prints at around 260 - Not sure if my existing head will go that high - I know it'll hit 150.
    I'm going to try and geta sample at the tct show and give it a go.

The other thing that looks interesting is the pla that you 'cook' in the oven to cure it for use at hi temp.

Thinking about making some novelty shaped ham presses.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    more importantly where did you buy the peek ?
    http://www.indmatec.com/de/shop#!/Fi...=0&sort=normal

But our certainly wasn't free... lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast