Close

Converting waste plastic into filament!

Waste plastic is a massive problem. It is estimated that only 1-3% of all plastics used are recycled and the material is almost always non-biodegradable. Already this year, over 6 million tons of plastic waste has been dumped in oceans. As a planet, we need to do more!
    As we all know, 3D printing will be the next industrial revolution – estimated to be worth $16 billion by 2018 and helping to innovate industries such as aerospace, medicine and education. As a result, we are hoping to develop a recycled 3D printing brand for our existing company, Filamentive Limited. This month I have been shortlisted for the Shell LiveWIRE Smart Future Award for my idea involving the reprocessing of waste plastic into 3D printing filament.
    Waste plastic will be acquired from organisations such as recycling firms, schools, colleges, local councils and 3D printing hubs. Suitable plastic will then be shredded before being melted through an extruder machine and wound onto spools ready to be sold. We will then keep in contact with buyers of our recycled filament so they can send back their unwanted prints – for example, in exchange for new, discounted/free spools. As we grow we hope to expand into the developing world where waste is even more apparent. Local people will be employed to sort through waste and local manufacturing plants will act as partners to process and produce our recycled filament for their respective local markets.
    In order to win the £5000 funding and receive mentoring from senior business leaders, I need as many votes as possible on my 60 second pitch (third video – Ravi Toor). Voting takes a few seconds, simply click "cast my vote" on my video, enter your name and email address and then remember to click the link in the confirmation email you receive. It would be amazing to win this award, as our company will be able to develop a product that will hopefully help reduce such a big problem. I would highly appreciate it if you could vote for me using the link provided below and also share on your own social media if you feel as passionately as we do about converting one of the world’s biggest problems into sustainable future solutions.
    http://www.shell-livewire.org/awards...me/#votingarea
    Thanks to those who support me, I really appreciate your support! Please feel free to ask any questions, either related to my business or anything else for that matter!

Converting waste plastic into filament!

3D Printing already is changing the way we live our lives. It’s not hard to imagine in a few years 3D Printing playing a pivotal role day to day living. If just a small percentage of the plastic garbage the world produces is able to be recycled and reused as 3D-printer filaments, it is indeed a very exiting future ahead.