Close

PLA extrusion not consistent

I have an airwolf HD. I'm trying to print on black pla from matterhackers, but it wont extrude evenly. I'll try to extrude into open air for 100mm and it will start extruding, but then extruder starts clicking for a couple of seconds then it continues to extrude normally and then it repeats. I've tried increasing the temperature all the way to 220 but still doesn't work. Any help is appreciated

Thanks.

Hi, have you tried looking at the extruder gear ? If it is unclean, it may increase torque at the same spot every turn, thus creating your issue.

I have cleaned the extruder assembly but no change. I'm thinking that maybe the hobbed bolt might be damaged even though I couldn't really tell. I have ordered a new one so now I just have to wait and see

Student
    Have you adjusted the VREF of the extruder motor control Stepstick?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Have you measured the filament for consistent diameter?

fjnamtiw, I actually don't know to what you're referring to. How do I go about doing that and what does it do? I have put in a new bolt and feeding tube. I do have to mention that I bought it used and that the 3d printed parts for the extruder don't look in the best shape. I have been able to get some good prints on abs although I have had the same problem once in a while