Close

Newbie Filament Question

Guys, I am new to this. Can someone tell me if filament is pretty much universal for all 3D printers that print in plastic? I see some good prices some places, and was wondering if I bought a 3D printer if I could buy the cheaper filament? Sorry for the dumb question.

Engineer
    You need to provide a few more details. Many 3D printers are compatible when it comes to filament. However there are some that are not.

For example, this stuff, is compatible with Reprap, MakerBot, Afinia and UP!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    You need to provide a few more details. Many 3D printers are compatible when it comes to filament. However there are some that are not.

For example, this stuff, is compatible with Reprap, MakerBot, Afinia and UP!
    Honestly, this stuff probably works in a huge majority of 3D printers. I'm sure it works in many more that Amazon hasn't listed. The 1.75 mm is really the industry standard now.

Filament is universal mostly. There are two different types of plastics, and a few different widths. Other than that it is all pretty much the same. Most printers take 1.75mm filament. Some take PLA plastic while others take ABS. that's about all the difference you will see. If your printer can only take ABS, then make sure you don't buy PLA.

Teddy