Close

Stuck a little - Raise before print, then lowering (Z Axis)

Hello again!

I'm stuck on something that is probably simple!

Printer goes home when it starts a print, it will then raise 5mm, but when it lowers again, I need it to drop 6mm.

My printer's bed and Z stop are hard to line up, I will work on it again soon enough, but currently I have to pause the print before it starts, lower Z by 1mil and then its golden!

Is there any way to make it lower 1mil extra?

Your problem is the relative distance between the bed and where the Z stop puts the extruder.

Soluitions:
    1. Adjust your endstop striker (it's a screw if you have a MakerFarm ??) When making this adjustment, eliminated all exterior noise so that you can hear the endstop switch click. Use a feeler gauge to get the extruder nozzle 2 thou above the bed when the endstop switch clicks.
    OR,
    2. Replace any rigid spacer between your heat bed and Y carriage with small compression springs held in place by the screws and nuts that held the rigid spacers. Then, with the extruder positioned by the endstop switch, you can adjust the distance between the bed and extruder to 2 thou by tightening or loosening the screws.

OME

Hey Mate,
    Yep, I know what the issue (was) is. I was trying to find a soft solution. I ended up using your advice and just fixed the Z stopper...
    I'm using a custom made i3, so I'm constantly tweaking and adding new parts.
    I will add a Z screw like the makerfarm have and I will be adding an auto bed leveller!

I was thinking that you could insert a couple of lines of code so that when the bed and extruder have reached working temperature, the print is paused while Z goes to 10mm; the extruder spits out 10mm of filament to clear its throat, and then Z returns to the start position and away we gooooooo!

You can slip in some code if you open your Gcode file using Notebook, insert your code and then save, using the same file name you started with.

OME