Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Engineer

Is ABS Filament on it's Way Out?

So, the newer 3d printers all seem to be using PLA filament, as opposed to ABS. Is ABS on its way out? In 2 years do you think ABS filaments will even have a market any longer? Are there any benefits to ABS over PLA? Seems like PLA lacks the smell, lacks the curling, and is used more often. Opinions?

I think each have their beneficial properties? ABS is less brittle and more temperature stable, albeit harder to print with in an open chamber printer. PLA prints at lower temps, tends not to curl as badly as ABS but can deform is submitted to high heat. Even leaving a PLA printed item on a dash board in the summer can ruin it! I think ABS will be around for a while.

Engineer
    i cant print in pla at all. i really think its worthless for anything other than a static object that will sit on a shelf in your house. the real filament that should eventually take off is pet. its easier to print and has less warp than pla, stronger and has almost or as much temp stability as abs. why it hasnt taken off already is beyond me. its more expensive, right now, but take into account all your failed prints and wasted time and energy and is probably cheaper.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    PET...its more expensive, right now
    That's a bit of an understatement. Going by prices I can find, it's more than triple the price of ABS or PLA.

We got some samples of PET at Maker Faire NY and it printed great! BTW, all the people in the 3D Printer Village got free filament all weekend long thanks to our generous vendors.

Engineer
    compro, its not really that bad. its about $70 for 1kg compared to $40-45 for good quality abs or pla. the pet+ from madesolid is really super. i just found another manufacturer that has their own stuff and runs $50 1kg. now throw in all waste from failed abs prints...........

john the maker faire was great last year. cant wait until next year. hopefully i wont be as overwhelmed and will actually get to really talk to some of the vendors.

Engineer
    What does PET stand for?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    What does PET stand for?
    Polyethylene terephthalate. It's otherwise known as polyester, though that's mostly used to refer to PET fabric.
    Last edited by Compro01; 02-01-2014 at 05:37 PM.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some PET. I know for the Makerlab in town, PLA has this advantage that all the different colors have identical printing characteristics, they all perform the same at identical temperatures. With ABS, black plastic absorbs heat much more quickly than transparent plastic and will burn, while our pink ABS turns white if it sits in the extruder nozzle for a couple of minutes. I don't pretend to understand the chemistry behind this but that's what the materials scientists told me! So PLA is easier to work with in a somewhat commerical environment (swapping out colors between prints and just wanting to get as many prints down as possible without messing around with temperature settings.)

I still print exclusively in ABS at the makerspace, the parts are very durable and won't melt it in the sun (I haven't personally had problems with this, but I hear its a possibility with PLA)

There's some really neat experimental materials out there as well, the Laywood polymer, the brick composite polymer, this t-glase PETT stuff, I think there will still be room for all these materials, hot swappable in the more capable printers.

I think all the consumer-oriented printers are coming out with PLA because it's more reliable as far as getting a quality print, but for the hobbyist and open source printers, people will keep experimenting and demanding materials with superior physical properties, even if you have to tinker in the settings to get it to print right.

Student
    it is cheaper to build a printer that only prints PLA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast