Close

Filament that will hold up in window of hot car?

I made a custom mount for something in my car... came out perfect. Now I know that PLA won't hold up in a closed car in the Arizona sun... sagged. Will nylon hold up in heat or will another filament? Or, do I need to use the CNC mill and aluminum?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    You could print in polycarbonate or PEEK.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    nylon will hold up - good luck printing with it, it's a total bastard.

The new coffe pla from protopasta is good for more than 100c.

Just how hot does your car window get ?

Engineer
    Use the new epc filament from esun. Is a liw warp polycarb blend. Higher temp than abs, more rigid and very easy to print with.

taulman3D's BluPrint is designed to have a high heat deflection. I'm not sure how hot the dash of a car may get, but taulman3D states this product will sustain boiling water for 5 continuous hours.

We carry this product in sample form if you'd like to give it a try.

BluPrint - BluPrint is a specialty polymer developed to specifically handle High Heat Deflection requirements. With a Tg of 110C and a print temp of only 265C, BluPrint is an easy to print polymer that comes as a clear material similar to t-glase.
    Potential uses:
    Lamp covers
    Antique car/item lenes or ligh covers, i.e. tail light, turn sig, etc..
    Any use in high heat environment
    Thermal spacers
    Thermal Clamps
    Any part that will need to be placed in boiling water for preparation.
    BluPrint can sustain boiling water for 5 continuous hours. Clarity will be lost after 2 hours to a dull haze. Structure will be maintained.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well bear in mind that what taulman considers an 'easy to use filament' is easy to use ONLY if you have a fully enclosed industrial printer. I find most of their stuff almost unusable on a standard unenclosed desktop machine.