Close

Question 3d printing firmware extruder help

Hello

I am developing my own 3d printing software and have trouble with the extruder.
    I have read that the gcode g1 command moves to the given position.
    but there is also a E paramenter which pulls out the given amount of fillament from begin to end.
    But is this function needed?
    If yes:why?
    Or Can i just make it that the speed of it is set To match the speed of the x and y and z axis.
    Or will my 3d prints than be incorrectly printed?

Can anyone help my?

Thanks

Edit: Fixed the quote.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dprint123 View Post
    Hello

I am developing my own 3d printing software and have trouble with the extruder.
    I have read that the gcode g1 command moves to the given position.
    but there is also a E paramenter which pulls out the given amount of fillament from begin to end.
    But is this function needed?
    If yes:why?
    Take a look at the G Code reference at the reprap wiki. G1 commands a move, but you also need to tell the printer what to move. G1 E tells the printer to extrude; G1 X tells the printer to move in the X axis, and so on. http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#G0_.26_G1:_Move

Hello
    Or Can i just make it that the speed of it is set To match the speed of the x and y and z axis.
    Or will my 3d prints than be incorrectly printed?
    You can't make them all move at the same speed. This all has to do with the steps per mm of each axis. While the X and Z axes will most likely take the same amount of steps, or movements of the stepper motors, to move a given distance, the Z axis will take a different number of steps and the extruder will need to take its own number of steps to extrude a given amount of filament. You use the M92 command to set the steps per mm for each axis.

What type of software are you writing? Printer firmware or something else? If you're going to get it to work with other software (slicers and the like), you'll need to get it to support the set of G Code commands properly.
    Last edited by 3dkarma; 09-08-2015 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Formatting

Well i know the E paramenter of g1 tells to extrude but is what i put in that paramenter how much it extrudes from begin to end or somthing else?
    It is gonna need to work with slic3r.
    And what are the command that i realy need to put in my software?

Well i know the E paramenter of g1 tells to extrude but is what i put in that paramenter how much it extrudes from begin to end or somthing else?
    The parameter tells it what length of plastic gets fed into the extruder - that's what's fed in, not what comes out - in mm.

And what are the command that i realy need to put in my software?
    You're the only one who knows what you want your software to do, so you're the one who really needs to answer that question. Have you read the g code reference on the reprap wiki?

So if i do E20 it will put 20mm of filament in the extruder?
    And if it has done that it stops?
    But what speed does it do that?
    Can i just leave that E paramenter ignored and just poop out fillament at the begin of a move and stop with that at the end of the move?

Yes.

Yes.

Whatever your extruder steps per mm is set at. You set the steps per mm, tell it to extrude a certain number of mm and it will take that, the steps per mm, work out the number of steps needed to extrude the specified mm length and turn the stepper motor that number of steps. The printer firmware works out the speed it needs to do the extrusion based on the length of the trail that needs to be laid down and the speed at which it needs to be laid down.

Can i just leave that E paramenter ignored and just poop out fillament at the begin of a move and stop with that at the end of the move?
    No. Think about what the printer is doing - there is a relationship between how much filament is extruded, the length of the extrusion that needs to be laid down and the speed the print head moves while it's being laid down.

Not sure why you repeated your questions.