Close

Engineer-in-Training

Cyclical rattling/buzzing sound coming from a Wades

Has anyone heard this cyclical rattling/buzzing sound coming from a Wades? ...
    https://vid.me/G6FM

I've tightened and looked at every part of the extruder and cannot find it. I do know it's related to the big gear; the rattle will repeat when the gear comes back around to the same spot.

Also, it does not do it much on perimeters; just mostly on back-and-forth infill.

Engineer-in-Training
    Maybe the X bearings?

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    A few in the MakerFarm subforum have also reported ticking or clicking sounds coming from the area of the extruder. In at least my case, the click also seemed to always occur at the same spot on the rotation of the large gear, although that could mean the issue was anywhere from the large gear through the hobbed bolt and the hobbed bolt bearings.

Using a short length of flexible hose as a hearing device, I determined the sound seemed to be loudest right at the guidler. Although I tried various piecemeal replacements and adjustments, I never did figure out what exactly it was - filament creaking between the guidler bearing and the hobbed bolt, the hobbed bolt bearings, fit of the hobbed bolt bearings in the extruder body, etc. I eventually just replaced the entire extruder through guidler, including all the bearings, and the problem went away.

I never liked how loosely everything fit in the typical wades gregg extruder, and the design sources I found were frustrating to understand enough to modify. With time, I came up with my own variation of the openSCAD source for all components in order make it easier to tweak individual aspects. I even added a test plate to the suite in order to fit check all the hardware before printing the full extruder suite - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:812899

If nothing else, the use of a length of hose as a hearing tube might help you localize the source.
    Last edited by printbus; 09-07-2015 at 01:14 PM.

Engineer-in-Training
    I too find it nearest to the guidler.

The previous filament roll had texture, but the new one now is smooth. Switching to the smooth roll, plus tightening the fit between the small and large gears, seems to have made most of the buzzing go away.