Close

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training
    I do not. That is a great idea. The times i have been present it has printed fine.

As a test I let the printer idle over night. I set the speed lower and it was the same in the morning. If the power had interrupted it would be 100%, which it was.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by tsteever View Post
    I do not. That is a great idea. The times i have been present it has printed fine.

As a test I let the printer idle over night. I set the speed lower and it was the same in the morning. If the power had interrupted it would be 100%, which it was.

If you aren't printing though you probably aren't loading down the power supply, also nothing is moving so if there is a short somewhere it may not happen.

Engineer-in-Training
    If the thermal runaway is enabled, that might be triggering it.

Engineer-in-Training
    That isn't enable. Good thought though. I am going to switch back to my old power supply and see if I get the same problem.

Technician
    Would you still recommend the solid state relay mod with a i3v 12" purchased today with the built in relay and aluminum heat bed mount? Does the new heat bed having a built in relay make this mod not possible?

Engineer-in-Training
    Unless he is now shipping a bonded aluminum heat bed then yes I would still recommend it. By bonded aluminum heat bed I mean the heatbed itself is bonded to a piece of aluminum.

Technician
    He mentions the relay is now built in. Would that mean I'd just have to rig it to be always closed and then add the solid state or should it still be possible to cut it out now. Never seen one in person yet so not quite sure what to expect.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin B View Post
    ...Does the new heat bed having a built in relay make this mod not possible?
    Can you provide a good picture of the relay on the heat bed? If it is a mechanical relay, you'd have to either wire that relay so that it is energized all the time or jumper across the contacts for that relay. PID requires the use of a solid-state relay that can be switched on and off much faster than possible with a mechanical relay.

Technician
    Don't have it yet. Planning to order soon though. From the description on the website I'm going to guess jumpering across the contacts will end up the easiest solution.

Has the relay you ordered continued to work well for you with just the heat sink to cool it?

Engineer-in-Training
    I purchased the relay and heatsink posted here and have had zero problems. In fact, I haven't noticed my relay getting even remotely hot. That heatsink is huge!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast