Close

0.02mm layer thickness possible with a filament printer?

I have been looking at the Wanhao duplicator 3d filament printer on various web pages and all say it can produce a 0.02mm layer height....can that really be possible with a filament printer?
    Looking at some photos of objects supposedly printed on this printer the resolution looks amazing, almost too good to be true!
    I'm new to 3d printing but I thought you could only produce that kind of resolution with an SLA printer.

http://3d-printers.ireviews.com/wanh...cator-5-review
    http://cjr.en.alibaba.com/product/13...D_Printer.html

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Yes. I have printed 0.025mm (25 micron) layers, and my coworker has printed 0.010 (10 micron) layers with Hyrel printers.

You won't do it with a threaded rod in the Z, but that's why we use precision ball screws. We are positionally accurate in the Z to less than half a micron.

To be honest, to reach that kind of precision, you need a perfect bed levelling and with a dual head it will be a pain.
    If you NEED that kind of precision, why not go to a resin printer instead ?

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    To be honest, to reach that kind of precision, you need a perfect bed levelling and with a dual head it will be a pain.

Two reasons, Firstly I am mostly interested in printing large objects and a resin printer is usually for small objects. Secondly its much cheaper and its less mess then liquid resin.

I'm actually trying to decide between XYZ Nobel SLA printer
    http://www.technologyoutlet.co.uk/co...sla-3d-printer

And Wanhao D5
    http://www.technologyoutlet.co.uk/co...ild-duplicator

They both have similar res so I'm tempted to buy the Wanhao because I will be able to print large objects

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RR3N View Post
    ...I am mostly interested in printing large objects
    How large? Do you have an idea how long one of your objects will take to print at a 0.02mm layer height? If you haven't already, spend some time learning one of the freeware slicers (slic3r, cura, etc.) enough to slice a similarly sized object found on thingiverse, and see what it estimates for a print duration. Add about 20% for a more accurate estimate.
    Last edited by printbus; 09-07-2015 at 07:15 AM.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    Bed leveling is not super critical if you make the first layer thicker, say 0.2mm.
    I have printed PLA at 0.05mm with a Reprap using threaded rods for the Z axis, it worked quite well but of course it takes forever and then some

i hadnt really give much thought to the wanhao dup 5s until i started looking in to it.
    wish the 8 inch build side was more like 10-12, but its still a lot of build volume.
    anyone running one?

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    What are you going to print, at 0.02mm it will take a very long time, you may want to ask yourself whether this type of resolution is necessary. If your requirements for feature resolution (x-y resolution) is low then prominent layering could be removed with post processing.

Quote Originally Posted by iDig3Dprinting View Post
    What are you going to print, at 0.02mm it will take a very long time, you may want to ask yourself whether this type of resolution is necessary. If your requirements for feature resolution (x-y resolution) is low then prominent layering could be removed with post processing.
    im fine with .05 or .1, i just want to know if its great quality printer or not... i need big volume with quality prints, and so far the prusa i3v, and taz 5 (from what ive seen) isnt super quality, but fast large volume.