Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is MakerBot working on an SLS printer?

What do you guys think? Now that the patents have expired on SLS technology, do you think MakerBot has something in the works for an SLS printer?

I hope the next Replicator uses selective laser sintering.

I can't see a reason why they would not be trying their hardest to get a sub $5,000 SLS printer out to market.

I doubt it.

They (makerbot) is coming with a new printer now in January, then another two during this spring.

Maybe next year they will come with a SLS, who knows. But im pretty sure you wont see any of this this year.

What are they coming out with in Sprint? The Z18?

My guess is that next January we will hear something from Makerbot on their next line of printers. Whether they will include SLS technology I don't know. I sure hope so though!

Quote Originally Posted by ToyMakerRon View Post
    What are they coming out with in Sprint? The Z18?

My guess is that next January we will hear something from Makerbot on their next line of printers. Whether they will include SLS technology I don't know. I sure hope so though!
    Makerbot Replicator Mini and Z18

I'm sure that MakerBot's R&D department has been working on prototypes for 3D printing for over a year now. Whether or not any of them see their way to market is yet to be seen though.

I don't think we will see a MakerBot printer print in SLS for atleast 2 years, if even. The patent issues extend beyond just the one patent that has expired. There are literially hundreds of others that prohibit what you can do when making an SLS printer. MakerBot would have to work around so much to do this, and 1 year definitely isn't enough for R&D.

Banned
    By "Working on", do you mean actually building one to sell in retail? If so, then I would guess that the answer is NO.

However, if you mean if they are playing around with ideas, making prototypes, or doing research and development, then my guess is that they are. They probably have been for a couple years now. When will we see an SLS printer from MakerBot. I don't think it will be for 2-4 years.
    Maggie

I think it's fair to say that they are at least considering creating an SLS printer. I'm sure they have looking into it, and have looked into what they can do once some of these patents expire. However I still think it's a couple years before we see any SLS printer from MakerBot.

Technician
    Has anyone tried contacting MakerBot to see what they have to say about SLS printers? I'm surprised no media has asked them about this yet, since the patents have expired. I'm pretty sure Bree Pettis would give an honest answer about this.

Technician
    Add kennycoulter on Facebook Add kennycoulter on Google+
    IF metal printing in home use is close in the future, and relatively low priced, I would say I would have to jump to a purchase. Hopefully, we will hear something soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast