Close

Has anyone tried any of the designs from the MakerBot Digital Store?

Has anyone downloaded and printed anything from the makerbot digital store (https://digitalstore.makerbot.com/) yet? I'm curious to see how they turn out. I run a toy store and these will be perfect I think. I'm just not sure what the profit margin will be.

From what I read, we are all legally allowed to print as many of these as we want, right? But are we allow to sell the printed designs multiple times if we just purchase one of these items one time?

You buy the file\code to print them out. I assume you can do whatever you want with the printed result.

But would be a good idea to make sure it is not illegal. Ill let you know if i find any info on it.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Merko View Post
    I assume you can do whatever you want with the printed result.
    Not allowed to sell them.

From the Makerbot Digital Store Terms of Use (It's at the bottom of the page, right-hand side, under the "support" heading)

2.2 Rights Granted

Upon payment for Content, we grant you a non-exclusive, non-transferable license to access, download and print the Content an unlimited number of times but only for your personal, non-commercial purposes, subject to the Agreement.

2.3 Usage Limitations

Except as set forth in 2.2 above, you may not sell, rent, lease, redistribute, sublicense or otherwise assign any Rights Granted to the Content or any portion thereof to any third party. You must comply with all applicable copyright and other laws in your use of the Content. We do not grant you any promotional use, commercial sale, resale or distribution rights for the Content.
    Last edited by Compro01; 01-30-2014 at 08:01 AM.

These files from the MakerBot store are sliced for a Replicator 2. They are pre-processed files, not .stl files. If you have another flavor of printer, I am not sure how well they print.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnA136 View Post
    These files from the MakerBot store are sliced for a Replicator 2. They are pre-processed files, not .stl files. If you have another flavor of printer, I am not sure how well they print.
    It's technically possible to unslice it. I know Autodesk has a thing called Miller that does this.

Quote Originally Posted by Compro01 View Post
    It's technically possible to unslice it. I know Autodesk has a thing called Miller that does this.
    Ah stupid.

What if you 3D print it, 3D scan it, then print it? :P

Not allowed to sell them.

From the Makerbot Digital Store Terms of Use (It's at the bottom of the page, right-hand side, under the "support" heading)
    Oh that's a bummer. I had some mighty plans, which just fell through
    Thanks for keeping me out of a bunch of legal trouble LOL.
    Ron

They need to get more things other than toys. How about releasing useful tools, that anyone could use, rather than just things that our kids might want to collect and play with?

Quote Originally Posted by Hall_of_Famer View Post
    They need to get more things other than toys. How about releasing useful tools, that anyone could use, rather than just things that our kids might want to collect and play with?
    Check www.thingiverse.com a lot of usefull items there, and free