Close

Thread: Deal or no Deal

Student

Deal or no Deal

Hi,

I am new to the world of 3D printers. I have the opportunity to purchase a Makerbot Replicator 2 that has less than 3 hours printing time on it. It was purchased new in November 2013. I can purchase it for $1400.00. Is that a good deal and a good printer to get my feet wet?

Thanks in Advance,
    MJF

I would suggest you find someone in your area that is familiar with that machine to check it out before purchase but that sounds like a very good price. You did not post your location in your profile.

Student
    John,
    Thanks for the response. Iknow where the printer is coming from, it was a gift and he is not interested in 3D printing. I'm from new Jersey, I put that in my profile now. Do you think it is a okay printer to start with?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Wow, we have quite a few members from Jersey. Yes, it is a very good printer. The weakest point is the extruder drive but it is easily upgraded to a very reliable machine. One of our printers is a Replicator 1 and it is one of our best. I was only concerned that the previous owner might have butchered it up but if you know the source, that is good. Welcome to the wacky world of 3D Printing.

If the printer is in good condition, I'd say take him up on the offer. $1400 is a good price. It's $2199 new.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Markum_Debreeze View Post
    If the printer is in good condition, I'd say take him up on the offer. $1400 is a good price. It's $2199 new.
    Thank you for your response .

Engineer
    I would say it's a very good deal. It's practically new with hours on it, and about 35% off the retail price. It's a very good printer for $1400 I'd say.