Close

MakerBot 6th Generation -- When?

At the start of 2014, MakerBot took to CES to announce three new 5th Generation 3D printers--and we're thinking they might follow that excitement up at the next CES, coming up for January 2016. Now that the dusts are settling at the company, with new CEO Jonathon Jaglom touring the US and acclimating to his role, it seems like it's time to look into the debut of the next Replicator(s). As our friends over at Fabbaloo have suggested, it seems like something is in the works; while they think that new hardware might be announced as early as next month, though, we're leaning toward a major announcement at CES 2016. Read about our predictions and basis for them here: http://3dprint.com/89025/makerbot-6th-generation/

Good luck to them. A lot of damage has been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Krassenstein View Post
    ... we're leaning toward a major announcement at CES 2016. Read about our predictions and basis for them here
    Wot ? You think they'll actually apologize to their customers ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    Good luck to them. A lot of damage has been done.
    To put it mildly.

I'm eager to see them try however, that should be a major PR stunt : they'll need it after the last 2 years.

But then, I read an article that my company bought 500 desktop printers from a relatively unknown company, whose only achievement was to attend a show and have an photo with A Merkel. Shows that whatever the quality of your product, you can always find uninformed buyers.

Engineer
    We will see Makerbot 10th gen by the end of 2020, mark my word. They are trying to become samsung/apple, one new gen every 1-2 years. Everytime small upgrade that doesn't worth the money....

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    could be interesting.

will they add more crap people don't want: facial recognition, selfie cameras, chewing gum holders that glow in the dark, self levelling feet so even if your build plate is wonky the machine itself will be level.
    OR
    Wll they actually go back to their roots and make a printer with things people do want: extruders that actually work, heated build plate, levelling that actually works, sensible pricing (lol we can dream) hell, a printer that actually prints would be a step forward at this stage :-)

It's a real shame that the company that produced the most copied and mass manufacturered 3d printer in the world: the replicator dual - has gone so far backward in terms of actual useability and functionality.

I heard somewhere there is a class action suit against their 5th generation printers. Not sure what impact that will have on them. Seemed the "informed" 3D community has gone cold on Makerbot?

Engineer
    About the lawsuit, it's only general information though:

http://makezine.com/2015/07/14/maker...lty-extruders/

Detail of file complaint: (For the juridic fanboy and fangirl)

http://1abxf1rh6g01lhm2riyrt55k.wpen...lassaction.pdf
    Last edited by richardphat; 08-26-2015 at 12:56 AM.