Close

View Poll Results: Where will most at home 3d printers be run from in 10 years from now?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • In the Office

1 8.33%
  • In the Garage

3 25.00%
  • One in the Garage and A smaller once in the office

1 8.33%
  • Too early to say

3 25.00%
  • Very few will have at home 3D printers

4 33.33%

Are At Home 3D Printers Destined for the Garage or Office?

What do you guys and gals think? In 10 years from now when everyone owns a 3D Printer, will they be large garage kept models or smaller office kept models? After seeing the latest Stratasys printer, I'm starting to think that as we see prices come down, people will want larger printers that allow them to make larger items, and a greater variety of item. The smaller printers are nice, but wouldn't it be nice to have a printer in your garage that can be run from your PC or smartphone, and print items of just about any size, rather than one that can only print items that are 12inches X 12inches X 12 Inches?

So I pose this poll to you.

Where will most at home 3d printers be run from in 10 years from now?

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    I think it's possible that we will see 2 or more printers per home. A smaller one in the office would be for little things that need vast detail, while a larger one in the garage would be for the larger items. At the same time, I do think it's a bit early to say.

I just don't see what the need for extra large printed objects is. the MakerBot z18 should be able to print 95% of everything you need (that is if it was in multiple materials). Larger items are usually made with multiple parts, so you could use a smaller printer for them. I think office 3d printers will suffice. No need to take up precious garage space.

My 8" Prusa is in the garage/workshop/Man Cave. A man's got to have some place to get some peace!

Given the time it takes to print larger objects, I can't see 3D printers being much larger than 12x12x12 in domestic situations. Once you need to print larger than that, you are really moving into industrial scale and away from home.

Old Man Emu

Student
    I can see them in both. Probably smaller models in the house. I have a solidoodle 2 in my office and it's a great size on the desk. Anything bigger would look too much out of place. Remote control from smartphones is definitely the way forward until things really speed up. The longer I have owned my 3dprinter the more everyday uses I am finding for it e.g. My car smartphone holder just did not cut it, do I designed a better version. Also cooker knob broke, £20 for a new one from the manufacturer or free to print one. This is the tip of the iceberg, not even half a million of these machines have been sold yet... Can't wait for the next few years!!

Technician
    I think it will depend on what you plan on using your printer for. If you want it to make toys, and small parts, you will probably save the garage room and keep one somewhere in your house. If you are going to be using it on a weekly basis to make large items, the garage might be the best place for it. Keep in mind, that it will take up a lot of room, meaning you probably would only be able to keep 1 car in your 2 car garage

I think it's too early to tell though for the most part.