Close

Circular base help

Hello!
    I apologize if I put this thread in the wrong section.

I've had my 3d printer for a long time now, a Wanhao Duplicator 4, but I've never joined any forums until today!

My first big question I have, is in the picture below, there are circular bases on this model, they made printing this model ridiculously easy, and I'd really like to learn how to put these bases on my own models for ease of printing. Any suggestions on where to learn how too do it?

circularbases.jpg

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Just add them in whatever design software you use...

But from what I can see of that model, I don't see the point in it. The amount of required support material would have to be insane. Assuming it's a helmet, wouldn't it work better printing upside down?

Custommask1.jpg
    This is the model that was ridiculously easy to print. No supports, and only 9 hours of printing. Came out great! And the reason is it had those little circles. I just was wondering if anyone could suggest a program that's free to add them, or if anyone knew how to in blender...

Engineer
    I am surprised that it was printable, that small circular base with such big mask and few branches, is almost guarenteed to fail in FDM.
    I would have understand if this was SLA, but FDM goes beyond my understanding. Who actually printed and with what machine?

Quote Originally Posted by richardphat View Post
    I am surprised that it was printable, that small circular base with such big mask and few branches, is almost guarenteed to fail in FDM.
    I would have understand if this was SLA, but FDM goes beyond my understanding. Who actually printed and with what machine?
    I did with my Wanhao duplicator 4.
    It was a whole mask. It had about 6-8 of those little dots to give the print plate more to grab onto, without the need for supports.

Settings were
    Right extruder: 230 c
    Print plate: 110 c
    Extrude speed: 40 mms

It took about 9 hours, but the final product is just amazing. I also use qua net on my glass covered print plate. The stuff in a purple can? It's amazing.

Sorry for the double post mods.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
    I also use qua net on my glass covered print plate. The stuff in a purple can? It's amazing.
    Plus one...