Close

Question Printing with silver ABS different than red ABS?

I am printing a circular medallion and when I print it with Hatchbox red ABS, it prints just fine. When I print it with Hatchbox silver ABS, the raft starts to curl and the edges of the medallion curl. I tried lowering the bed temp (printing red at 225/107) to 105 and 100 and it still happens. Any tips on printing with this type of filament? I am at a loss.

Different filaments have different properties, even if they are both ABS. wrt peeling/warping: is your chamber enclosed? It should be for ABS.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    The typical rainbow colors from the same vendor (if a quality vendor) should all print similarly.

For White, Grey, Black and Silver, there are a variety of coloring agents that might be used; some may require higher or lower temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    Different filaments have different properties, even if they are both ABS. wrt peeling/warping: is your chamber enclosed? It should be for ABS.
    It is enclosed. I have tried to lower the bed temp, but have not tried to increase the temp. I will try that also.

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    The typical rainbow colors from the same vendor (if a quality vendor) should all print similarly.

For White, Grey, Black and Silver, there are a variety of coloring agents that might be used; some may require higher or lower temperatures.
    Does that mean temp for both the bed and the extruder?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    In my experience, just the extruder.

When printing with ABS if a curl is observed you should have increased the temperature, not reduced.

Follow Bobby Lin On Twitter Add Bobby Lin on Facebook Add Bobby Lin on Google+
    Based in my experience, you should increase your temperature when 3d printing Silver filaments, even if you're using ABS material.