Close

ABS in a Makerbot MINI???

I have a second Makerbot MINI extruder and wanted to see what would happen if I ran ABS through the PLA only extruder? I have to assume that others have tried and what to see what their results were. I also wanted to see what extruder temp would be a good start. I know normally you would want to have a HPB to help with warpage. I just wonder if printing with RAFT would work?

Technician
    Hi there
    ABS have very high tendency to warp while cooling.
    Therefore it's almost impossible to print it without heated bed or chamber.
    You can print it with Makerbot Mini, of course, but it will not be nice result.

I knew about warping issues with a non HPB. Just not sure how much warpage would happen when printing with a raft in the chamber of the Mini.

Engineer
    You can print ABS on cold surface, yet very large surface. Print them on acrylic plate, I can guarentee you, it will stick so well that your object will probably break first instead of the 1st layer adhesion. The trick is to tweak the first layer settings with tape/ raft or underextruded layer.

Well this weekend I had hoped to test out the second extruder with ABS. But ended up finding another problem. The MB Mini is no longer printing circles correctly. I'm thinking that I need to adjust the left rear belt tensioner.