Close

Can I solder PSU wires to RAMPS?

Hello all,
    So recently I added a heat bed to my Delta and because of that the RAMPS board started smoking and I noticed that the 4 pins terminal where you connect power to is melted. Here is an image:

So I want to solder the wires to the pins on the board because I can't wait until my new terminal comes in the mail. Would this work or catch my printer on fire?
    Cheers.

Engineer
    Ramps 1.4 I assume? They are notorious for frying high current. Also do bundle more wire together (4-5), the 18Gauge alone is not enough to handle that much current and will just heat up.

Also, as long as you know what you're doing you can solder fine.

Quote Originally Posted by richardphat View Post
    Ramps 1.4 I assume? They are notorious for frying high current. Also do bundle more wire together (4-5), the 18Gauge alone is not enough to handle that much current and will just heat up.

RAMPS 1.4 indeed. Thanks for the info, need to finish up some work and then I'll do it and report back. Cheers

Sorry for the delay, been busy. I soldered the wires to the board and then hot glued them for extra security and it seems to be running quite well (for now). It's been printing for just over an hour now and no problems so far. Here is a pic:

Thanks for the help

Engineer
    So the problem was on your makerfarm or the delta?

So the problem was on your makerfarm or the delta?
    Delta. Just finished building it and it was fine until I installed the 8x8 heat bed and Ramps started smoking. NEVER had a problem like this with Makerfarm machine.

Engineer
    Just to make sure, you also bundle the negative also right?

Just to make sure, you also bundle the negative also right?
    Nah not yet, I'm not using the heat bed at the moment until I get my heat bed relay from Makerfarm.