Close

Student

Does anyone actually buy 3D models?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering, does anyone actually buy 3D models for 3D Printing?

I have some experience with this but it seems mostly people don't want to pay for a 3D file?

Does anyone else have a different experience?

I am really curious about this, it seems people want free files but may pay for real models.

All answers greatly appreciated.

Thanks

While I'm willing to pay for a file in specific cases that outmatch my design skills, so far I've mostly been able to make my own. I have placed an order for a specific file though, I'm really not an artist.

When you go around on shapeways or similar places there are tons of stuff you could re-design in less than 2 hours. So I really need to see the added value in the file, and most times it just isn't there. Also, it's part of the pleasure of doing things for me.

And then, there's the question of printability :
    1/ When I do my own design, I KNOW it is printable.
    2/ STL files are NOT the most modification-friendly format. It sucks to buy something that you can't use.

Bottom line : a real well engineered file takes time and therefore costs a lot, so most of the time, I'll be tempted to make my own instead.

Student
    Hi LambdFF,

Thank you for the reply.

I agree with you, anyone who knows how to 3D model probably will never really buy one – just model it themselves.

As 3D printing becomes more popular and there is a 3D printer in (almost) every home, do you think people would buy it then?

Or will 3D modelling software become so easy that people won’t really buy them, just make their own.

Thanks for your response.

Paul

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well given that 3dsha.re is doing good business - I'd have to say yes.
    People who can't be arsed to design their own stuff will pay for models.

Also given the number of threads we get round here where someone has bought a printer and then wants to know how to switch it on, load filament or find something to print. There are an increasing number of people buying 3d printers who don't have design skills and don't want to develop them.

So yep - the more printers in the wild - them more people who actually can design things will be able to make money selling the designs.
    It's my plan anyway :-)

Should I ever want an artistic - as opposed to practical - model for one reaso or another, I'll most likely have to pay for it.
    I don't do artistic :-)

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    well given that 3dsha.re is doing good business - I'd have to say yes.
    People who can't be arsed to design their own stuff will pay for models.

Also given the number of threads we get round here where someone has bought a printer and then wants to know how to switch it on, load filament or find something to print. There are an increasing number of people buying 3d printers who don't have design skills and don't want to develop them.

So yep - the more printers in the wild - them more people who actually can design things will be able to make money selling the designs.
    It's my plan anyway :-)

Should I ever want an artistic - as opposed to practical - model for one reaso or another, I'll most likely have to pay for it.
    I don't do artistic :-)
    Nobody does artistic. Some people pretend to, like the ones that set the "value" of rare works of art and the ones that deem dead sharks in formaldehyde as art and then there are the ones that choose to follow other people because they think it is cool but generally I don't really know anyone who does artistic really.

Staff Engineer
    There are plenty of places to get "artistic" models, especially if you're willing to pay for them. (You might have to supply your own formaldehyde, though...)

Here are a few:

https://www.vectorart3d.com/

http://www.3d-archeolab.it/3d-virtual-museum/

http://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/miniatures

http://www.threeding.com/

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well for starters bassna definitely does artistic.

By which I mean any model made where the maker needs to have innate artistic ability. I don't have any :-)

Add bford903 on Facebook
    The learning curve for CAD software is much higher than the learning curve for 3D printing, so I think for the time being there is a market for people selling their CAD designs. I've never sold any personally; I would rather sell them a finished piece.

I consider my jewelrymaking to be a somewhat artistic endeavor, but I've never claimed to have any artistic ability. As long as my customers are happy, I'm happy. Although I do have an idea for a dead shark in formaldehyde pendant...or maybe an orca whale jumping out of a toilet ring. Could be something.