Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hmm.. Well, I just found this page from a google search. It's one guy's word, but he is authoritatively stating my suspicion.

http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9655

"Myth 3: ABS is much stronger than PLA
    This is the most recurring one and it's also the most inaccurate: if you compare injection molded parts, ABS parts are indeed stronger than it's PLA counterparts; however we're doing 3D Printing layer by layer, not injection molding and this changes things considerably:

A 3D printed part in PLA is MUCH stronger than a part printed in ABS. This is because PLA has significantly stronger layer bonding than ABS."

---

I'm going to start looking at other filaments. But would any of them be an improvement? Maybe inserting metal pins is the way to go. Edit: Cool, jimc, I will look into that!

Engineer
    Comparing ABS and PLA, is like comparing copper versus cast iron. Really, that's the best extreme comparison that gives the best idea, ABS being copper and cast iron being PLA.

Because we're on the internet, info are spread easily and too much people believe in that.

Engineer
    ok you have to realize the word "stronger" is a very general term. stronger in what way? every material has its strengths and weaknesses. its a matter of finding the best material for the job. pla at room temp is a very hard and strong plastic however its has such a low thermal resistance that parts will get soft just holding them in your hand from your body heat. for me that makes pla completely useless and the weakest of all filaments. i only use it for a quick prototype that will end up being tested and tossed in the trash or something that will just sit on a shelf in my house. abs is softer which in some ways may make it seem weaker but its more impact resistant because of that. the glass point is also a good 40-50c higher so its a much better plastic for something that is a functional part. abs does layer bond really well IF you get a good quality abs and you print it at the right temps. all in all though there is no perfect, strongest filament that will fit the bill for everything. definately look into petg though. esun makes some good stuff.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    abs does layer bond really well IF you get a good quality abs and you print it at the right temps.
    This is my point. Some people use crap filament and/or the wrong temp and/or the wrong print speed, and claim it doesn't work.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    never had layer issues with abs. never had them with ANY filament.

To avoid layer issues print at the Highest temp that still gives you sharp and clean prints.

Most books tell you to print at the lowest temp you can get away with - experience has taught me that with modern plastics this is no longer necessary, and higher temps will give you consistently better results.
    Oh yeah and ALWAYS use active cooling - air blowig directly onto the print area. Putting layers down hot and cooling them quickly seems to give all round best results.

I - personally - find pla (reprapper tech ltd is what I mostly use) not only stronger than abs, but tougher and less brittle as well. It's also easier to print, doesn't smell and doesn't warp anywhere near as much as abs.
    That said how you print a part: shells/layers infill % and type - has a very significant effect on each print.
    Probably has more effect than the type of plastic you use.

It's one reason desktop 3d printing is as much an art as a science.

So the actual answer is: no abs doesn't have layer adhesion problems.
    A particular machine and user might have problems - that isn't the fault of the abs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12