Close

Page 2 of 411 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Happy with mine

I ordered mine through Amazon, simply because it was shipped fast with prime and their return & refund polity provides a bit of comfort since I knew nothing about the unit other than a couple of reviews. They sent me a replacement keypad/SD card board via 3day fedEx and it installed easily and work perfectly after the upgrade. I purchased Simplify3D and have had no issues or problems running it. I've printed a number of "things" so far and prefer the PLA (Hatchbox has worked well). The ABS printed well but was a pain and stuck to the print platform and it took me forever to get it cleaned off. I ran a number of different colors through it and prints great at any of the extrusion settings I tried (extrusion multiplier 1.0, layer height 1 to 3). My best prints so far have been PLA at 215, bed at 40-50. Although the instructions listed a much faster print speed for PLA I like print speeds of 60/80 (with first layer and other options slowed down a bit in Simplify3D per recommendations). No complaints so far. Any glitches I've ran into were due to my lack of 3D printer experience but were overcome.

I have had great success with the simple software that it came with. But I just bought Simplify3D as well, if only for the ease of adding support structures (had two prints failed due to lack of it). Actually testing it now. I need to modify the settings to that of what I had in ReplicatorG because it Simplify3D is making a mess right now... head to hot (230), speed too fast, etc... need to do some fine tuning it seems...

The filaments included were not great. I ended up buying Hatchbox 1.75mm ABS filaments and the quality is far superior. Printing at 210 with bed at 110. Excellent prints. Since the stuff I am currently printing will be for hard use, I felt that PLA was not going to be strong enough or last the time I needed. I am new to this, just went that way based on the threads I have read.

Support from the company that sells these has been outstanding. I am waiting for the replacement Z-axis rod (the one in the printer is bent), but managed to get it working by loosening the bolts on the supports...just enough to give it that needed play to compensate for the bent. Once the parts arrive I should be able to put it back correctly.

Anyway, having a lot of fun, printing just about everything that I can. More ABS filament on its way from Amazon. hehehe

Here are some of the parts printed in the last few days:

Enclosure for an Arduino DRO (and the shark that comes in the SD card)

And printing a Pip-boy 3000 for my son. Lots of parts and just realized that I have not taking any photos... will do that later today and share...

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by marcnaz View Post
    I ordered mine through Amazon, simply because it was shipped fast with prime and their return & refund polity provides a bit of comfort since I knew nothing about the unit other than a couple of reviews. They sent me a replacement keypad/SD card board via 3day fedEx and it installed easily and work perfectly after the upgrade. I purchased Simplify3D and have had no issues or problems running it. I've printed a number of "things" so far and prefer the PLA (Hatchbox has worked well). The ABS printed well but was a pain and stuck to the print platform and it took me forever to get it cleaned off. I ran a number of different colors through it and prints great at any of the extrusion settings I tried (extrusion multiplier 1.0, layer height 1 to 3). My best prints so far have been PLA at 215, bed at 40-50. Although the instructions listed a much faster print speed for PLA I like print speeds of 60/80 (with first layer and other options slowed down a bit in Simplify3D per recommendations). No complaints so far. Any glitches I've ran into were due to my lack of 3D printer experience but were overcome.
    Last edited by wachuko; 09-10-2015 at 09:59 AM.

Well... I need to research more the configuration of Simplify3D for this printer.... AND was not aware that the simple software that comes with the printer, already has raft/support capabilities...

I need to look up all the setting currently in ReplicatorG and use those to start the configuration in Simplify3D

Trying the same part again... with ReplicatorG and Support enabled...

Can you share the settings that you are using with Simplify3D?

Printer selected?

Changes made to temp, speed, etc.?

Thank you!! I am back to using ReplicatorG (now with the support enabled) since that works perfectly with ABS...

Here are the parts for my son's Pit-Boy build... building this one first and then the Pip-boy 3000 Mark-IV

This is the part that needed support and failed because I did not know how to enable it... printing it again:

Simplify3D would show you the support on a different color... ReplicatorG does not show the supports but they do come out (tested a smaller part last night and it worked great).

And just a quick video with the printer in action:

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you need to enable the video for public viewing.

Looks like you're getting on well.

As far as abs versus pla goes. Personally I find pla stronger and more durable and a lot easier to print with.
    Actually the fact that it's dimensionally accurate is the biggest plus for me. That and the fact I can print it without rafts.

The most important thing in s3d to change - in my opinion - is the speed of the first layer. I've got mine currently set to 15% of printspeed. Just ensures that the first layer goes down really well. After that I usually print at between 40 and 70mm/s depending on filament type.

The other thing to change is to make sure the option to 'print all angles' is ticked (might not be that exact wording haven't got latest s3d on this particular computer)
    This gives you super strong infill and exsures that each layer bonds to the layer below creating a solid matrix.
    I usually use 10% infill and tringular pattern as it prints quick and gives all round support.
    For really strong parts that need to be both strong and flexible, I'll up the infill to 20% and use 4-5 outer shells and top and bottom layers.

I've made a part with s3d 3.0 at 40% infill that would be guarenteed to break if printed with makerware at anything less than 60%.

It is agreat program but you do need to put aside a fair bit of time to get the settings dialled in for your particular printer.
    Once you've done that - it really does become point and print.
    Haven't had a print fail in months, haven't had to calibrate the bed for months. Just load model, swipe the gluestick over the bed and print.

Oppss... my bad... uploaded from phone and did not notice that... fixed. And here is one more. You can see the supports...

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    you need to enable the video for public viewing.

Looks like you're getting on well.

As far as abs versus pla goes. Personally I find pla stronger and more durable and a lot easier to print with.
    Actually the fact that it's dimensionally accurate is the biggest plus for me. That and the fact I can print it without rafts.

The most important thing in s3d to change - in my opinion - is the speed of the first layer. I've got mine currently set to 15% of printspeed. Just ensures that the first layer goes down really well. After that I usually print at between 40 and 70mm/s depending on filament type.

The other thing to change is to make sure the option to 'print all angles' is ticked (might not be that exact wording haven't got latest s3d on this particular computer)
    This gives you super strong infill and exsures that each layer bonds to the layer below creating a solid matrix.
    I usually use 10% infill and tringular pattern as it prints quick and gives all round support.
    For really strong parts that need to be both strong and flexible, I'll up the infill to 20% and use 4-5 outer shells and top and bottom layers.

I've made a part with s3d 3.0 at 40% infill that would be guarenteed to break if printed with makerware at anything less than 60%.

It is agreat program but you do need to put aside a fair bit of time to get the settings dialled in for your particular printer.
    Once you've done that - it really does become point and print.
    Haven't had a print fail in months, haven't had to calibrate the bed for months. Just load model, swipe the gluestick over the bed and print.
    Thank you for those tips. I will spend some time tomorrow trying to dial in Simplify3D

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Ah your printer is fully enclosed - that's why you can use abs much better than I can :-)
    Makes ahelluva lot of difference.

Those printers are definitely a good buy.

I still can't get Simplify3D to print correctly... frustrating to say the least... will try again tonight.

Still printing with ReplicatorG... here, take a look, a Pip-Boy 3000 recreation for my son. Still needs to be finished and painted, but the prints are coming out great (there are two parts that I want to reprint as I was playing with the temperature settings and support and those initial parts did not come out as nice as the other) :

Page 2 of 411 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast