Close

Frankencaker - What in the world is this?

Just saw this on Thingiverse this morning. It's called the Frankencaker. Anyone care to explain exactly what this thing is?

It looks like it is made by makerbot but I think ti is modified, right? Does it make cupcakes? I'm confused.

source: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:234282

Looks to me its just upgrades to the cupcake 3d printer to make it better.

Hope I don't sound stupid, but what is the cupcake 3dprinter? Why does it say MakerBot on it? Is it a printer by Makerbot?

Quote Originally Posted by RimReaping View Post
    Hope I don't sound stupid, but what is the cupcake 3dprinter? Why does it say MakerBot on it? Is it a printer by Makerbot?
    I think cupcake was one of the first printers makerbot made.
    reprap kit

Cupcake CNC

MakerBot Cupcake CNC; Forerunner to the Thing-O-Matic

The Cupcake CNC was introduced in March 2009.[9] The source files needed to make the devices were put on Thingiverse, allowing anyone to build their own from scratch.[10] The Cupcake CNC features a usable build area of 100 mm × 100 mm × 130 mm (L/W/H) and has outside dimensions of 350 mm × 240 mm × 450 mm.
    Because of the open source nature of the product, many suggestions for improvements came from users. Printing upgrades and replacement parts became popular projects for learning to operate the units. During its primary production run (April 2009 to September 2010), the Cupcake CNC had numerous upgrades so each 'batch' of new units was upgraded. The early model Cupcake CNC units shipped with a Plastruder MK3 and both acrylic and foamcore build platforms. All Cupcake CNC units shipped with DC motor extruders and Generation 3 electronics. Serial numbers for Cupcake CNC printers start at #1 and end around #2625.