Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technologist

Slic3r 1.1.7 vs 1.2.9...

I'm curious as to the experience y'all have been having with Slic3r 1.2.9, especially if you were previously using 1.1.7.

I've now encountered two persistent problems:

1. Seg fault. I realize my STL generation pipeline is a little messy, but I consistently hit objects that 1.1.7 handled fine, but that crash 1.2.9. Using the "Repair STL" feature of 1.2.9 SEEMS to fix the problem, but may be setting me up for other problems...

2. Apparent over-extrusion, or maybe some kind of weird cumulative Z error. I can take the exact same STL and .ini and run it through 1.1.7 and 1.2.9, and get very different results.

With 1.1.7, the thing prints perfectly. With 1.2.9, with the exact same .ini, a somewhat odd (well..., very different than 1.1.7) tool path is created (though seemingly "correct"), and after a few layers, the hot end starts ploughing into the piece.

Note: wait a sec..., I misspoke: 1.1.7 can print the STL without correction or complaint. 1.2.9 requires the 1.2.9 corrected OBJ derived from the original STL, so strictly speaking, the exact same thing is not being plated/printed..., because 1.2.9 gags on the "uncorrected" STL.

I'm guessing that changes in the arithmetic between the two versions can create significant "tuning" differences..., so I guess I might start with dialing back the extrusion multiplier..., but I was wondering if anybody else had any thoughts to share regarding 1.2.9...

The performance improvements in 1.2.9 are nice..., but I'm not sure they're worth it just yet...

I've just started printing with v1.2.9. It is the first version since v1.1.7 that actually works. I don't know if it really works yet, but I've managed to print a few parts with it.

Technologist
    Did you start with a pre-existing profile (.ini)?

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I've just started printing with v1.2.9. It is the first version since v1.1.7 that actually works. I don't know if it really works yet, but I've managed to print a few parts with it.

Quote Originally Posted by lakester View Post
    Did you start with a pre-existing profile (.ini)?
    This morning I started a slice of a hollowed skull that I was working on. It's been going since 7:30 this morning. I'm thinking this v1.29a is more flash than substance. Try slicing this with v1.29a and printing it. Good Luck!

You know??? I was going to attach and post the .STL file of the hollowed skull that v1.29a can't slice. But for some unknown reason, 3DPrintBoard doesn't know what a .STL file is ??? Can somebody explain that to me???

Engineer-in-Training
    This morning I started a slice of a hollowed skull that I was working on. It's been going since 7:30 this morning. I'm thinking this v1.29a is more flash than substance. Try slicing this with v1.29a and printing it. Good Luck!

You know??? I was going to attach and post the .STL file of the hollowed skull that v1.29a can't slice. But for some unknown reason, 3DPrintBoard doesn't know what a .STL file is ??? Can somebody explain that to me???
    You have to change the file extension to something else, like .txt or something. Then whoever downloads the file needs to change it back to stl

Technologist
    If the upload happens, I'll give it a print using 1.2.9..., using my .ini as-is. When I have time, will set up one my previous failed prints, but will reset the extrusion multiplier back to 1.0 to see if that makes a difference. In the meantime..., heh..., 1.1.7 works juuuuust fine..., albeit kinda slowly...

Well, after more than a day, I gave up slicing the hollowed skull with v1.29a. I'm back to using v1.1.7 also.

Technologist
    Bummerz.

When I get a chance, will post results of tweaks to a 1.2.9 specific .ini...
    Well, after more than a day, I gave up slicing the hollowed skull with v1.29a. I'm back to using v1.1.7 also.

Engineer-in-Training
    I started with 1.2.9, and it works great. Of course no experience with earlier versions.

Here, 1.2.9 also does not run as advertised. My environment: windows 7 /32, OrdBot Hadron, modified, autoleveling, E3DV6 Hotend. Marlin (2014 version) running on a R.U.M.B.A. (who invented this weird acronym?).
    The problem: Both when producing perimeters and specially infills, the movement, which was more than fluent with 1.1.7. .g-files, is a sequence of single movements, with stops between all segments. Mostly.
    Sometimes it moves on, but about 99% of the cases not.
    It looks and feels and sounds like a look-ahead-buffer being switched off. The word "sleep..." (sic) in the Marlin's display surprised me too - so I am not the only one.
    I'll attach my settings as a ~.ini.txt file.

[Edit] Added info: The ini files were originally generated in 1.1.7 and are used mutually by both versions right now - the daily work being done in 1.1.7, while I see the benefits of 1.2.9 and would like to give it more than one chance - but not the way it is now.

Thanks for your comments!

Cheers,

Chattermark

[edit] P.S.: What is the best place to get in touch withe the development team for immediate reactions - and my offer to beta-test, if needed?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by chattermark; 10-18-2015 at 11:37 AM. Reason: P.S. added

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast