Close

3DPrintBoardPro Member car3less's Avatar
    Follow car3less On Twitter Add car3less on Facebook Add car3less on Shapeways

PROJET 1500 - a story of continuous failures

Projet 1500 - lovely DLP printer.
    Bought in 2011 with 25 000 euros, not used until September 2014, except preliminary tests. (Previous owner had no knowledge of computer modeling or using it. Just bought it because it was a trend...)

Since we starting using it last year, we only paid money to repair it and spent time in conversations on how to repair it. Hours and hours invested almost without results in an expensive equipment that should work flawlessly (following the claims of its brand).

In September 2014, we needed someone to install the printer. We called the local 3D Systems representative who sold the printer to help us. He came once to check saying he will come back and never returned postponing us. We found another local representative and helped us install the printer by internet in December 2014.

After they installed the printer, we discovered the front buttons of the printer were not working anymore. And prints could be removed from the printer only by using the software and from the software only by deleting them directly from the interior server. Fun, fun...

After a just few prints (which looked really nice, I can't complain about this), the printer started having other problems: the elevator platform started to collide with the shuttle (cover of the material tray). Because the reseller was continuing to postpone us (again), we decided to contact directly the European support team and one of their representatives tried to help us by internet. He was very nice and wanting to help, but problems could not be solved from distance. Manuals were not working. We contacted again the local representative who installed the printer and someone finally came to check it. After 4 hours of checking it, he discovered it was a loose screw.

We gave it a break for a few months. Until we had something to print a month ago... but print it if you can! After initializing, the printer started to give errors: Failed to Initialze the Build file. Error initializing the Print head Subsystem. Answer from 3D systems: "Could you please confirm if you are the end user of this machine or the distributor of it ?
    If you are an end user, I strongly recommend you to get in contact with one of our distributors in Romania. They have technical experience and knowledge to help on those failures."

GREAT!

"
    Please understand that warranty on our printer is starting once the first installation is completed and valid for one year.
    Your machine isn't included as a warranty printer, all repairs (time spent & parts replacement) will be at your charge.
    Secondly, you are not one of our distributors in Romania and due to this we can't engage the troubleshooting process, as you are not technically certified to complete repairs on the printer.
    You can send back the printer where you want but don't expect a refund or something, we were never involved in the sale of that printer neither with the troubleshooting.
    We can engage a process of getting printer back in our walls for repair, but this will be at your charge.Please forward me logfiles of the machine if you want more explanation about the issue."

I never said they should repair it for free. And I had no idea where I could find the logs. So they closed my troubleshooting ticket. And I've been waiting for the last month for a local representative to find a solution. That seems it will not come too soon.

But until then... guess what! We have another error: Unable to create / retrieve job.

From what I could find online, this kind of printer is now around 5000 euros on sale. Sending it back to them would cost more than a used one.
    The printer has about 40-50 hours of total printing in 4 years. And many more of failures.

Anyone with experience in using 3D systems printers that could help us?

p.s. Don't buy anything expensive and complicated. Simple printers from Formlabs, Tiertime, Flashforge etc. can sometimes do a much better job. 3D Systems might start printing in space, but I wouldn't put my life in their hands... not even on Earth.
    Printare 3D Bucuresti

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Arthur C. Clarke

your error is one of the elevators is not working properly.

email me blakeignoffo@yahoo.com

i am a 3d systems tech with many machines under my belt including the 1500

It pains me to say it but 3D Systems printer quality and printer support is sorely lacking. Yours is a tale heard all too often.

I would agree 3d lacks a lot of service. What is the general problem the 1500 is giving you?

Follow Christina Jackson On Twitter Add Christina Jackson on Facebook Add Christina Jackson on Google+
    Hearing this kind of story really frustrates me. They should've never sell any product if they can't provide an efficient customer support in cases like this. The next time you plan to purchase 3d printers, purchase one from Printrbot or Ultimaker. They have great customer support and will assist you in solving your problem as soon as possible.