Close

Engineer

3d Printing Counterfeit Coins?

Perhaps right now it is not worth the time and materials to do such a thing, but in the coming years ahead what measurements will be put in place to prevent counterfeiters from simply printing out mass quantities of coins? For example, one of the higher denominations for coins can be found in the Swiss Franc currency. There are 5 Franc coins valued at about $5.60. With the right printer, this is probably profitable today for those wishing to take the risks. You could easily print out a dozen of these in an hour or two.

By No means would I ever consider counterfeiting a national currency, but this is a concern that governments have to be taking serious right away, as this tech is increasing so rapidly that it's scary.

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    That's definitely something that federal government's will need to keep an eye on, but I think we have a while before it becomes a big concern.
    Ed

Staff Engineer
    The US government would probably welcome it - it costs more to produce our coins than their face value makes them worth, so a little help would be a good thing...

http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/15/news...nnies_nickels/

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Yeah, the US government would, but I'm not sure about Switzerland They will have to start putting holograms on their coins, or just stop distributing the 5 franc coins. Why not just move to bills?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RimReaping View Post
    Why not just move to bills?
    Because bills wear out. Coins don't. Even with the new polymer notes we're using up here, a common bill (i.e. not $100s) will last a maximum of about 10 years, whereas I have coins in my pocket that are older than I am.

Additionally, you'd be hard pressed to match the magnetic signature of coins. The RCM invented an interesting multi-ply plating process for counterfeiting resistance (it also makes the coins look nice and shiny), which I doubt you could duplicate with a 3D printer.
    Last edited by Compro01; 01-27-2014 at 08:27 AM.

Student
    Also there is the weight issue, unless you could 3dprint the coins on exactly the same metal then any discrepancy would mean the coins would be useless in vending machines, might still be able to get away with paying for goods face to face though.... That's the day economy's crash when everyone can simply 3dprint money!

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfilemarket.com View Post
    Also there is the weight issue, unless you could 3dprint the coins on exactly the same metal then any discrepancy would mean the coins would be useless in vending machines, might still be able to get away with paying for goods face to face though.... That's the day economy's crash when everyone can simply 3dprint money!
    I agree. The cons probably wouldn't feel right to someone that is used to handling them as well? Counterfeiting is a huge crime. Probably not worth spending $3.50 to print a $5.00 coin to take a chance of getting 25 years in prison.