Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sorry, I wasn't clear - I managed to fix it and get it printing myself without sending it back to them.

Student
    Duck, what part of Ontario are you from? I have just ordered the same printer and it should be arriving in the next day or two. Do you have any recommendations on anything (as this is my first attempt and first printer)?

Thanks in advanced
    P.S. I'm near the Barrie area.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck View Post
    They eventually replied and said I'd have to pay shipping (about $50 each way) to get it to them and back. I decided not to do this and managed to glue everything back together on my own.
    Well, that's not what I consider warranty, especially if they offer paid warranty extension. In my case they offered to send me a new belt for free (however it's stated value is only $3 anyway). I accepted, but the (probably maximum savings) package has been on its way for two weeks now.
    How did you manage to glue the belt back together? I'm impressed because I'd say this part is exposed to a lot of mechanical force. I can't see how glue could hold that together.

Btw: I also asked them for a recommendation on how to provide filament to the printer, especially because your construction was lot better than mine. That was their answer:
    It is best just to make sure that the end of the filament is never allowed to cross the other windings on the spool as this cause a jam. We have also noticed that sometimes filament in wound too tightly on the spool that it can cause skipping and sometimes a jam. Just check that the filament can feed freely before printing.

The tiny belts are pressed into toothed grooves on the bottom of the sliders. It's hard to tension and force it back into the groove but it is possible. I know it's less tight than it was when I got it (they probably have a fixture at the factory for specifically doing this) but it was good enough to get me back up and running.

"Just check that the filament can feed freely before printing" is shit advice from them, because you can't see beyond one or two layers into a spool!

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Oh god...

That's the worst failure I've seen of a printer (no fault of yours!) I have had a twist halfway through a spool before, but because of the way the flashforge is designed, if this happens, yes the roll goes tight but eventually the gear just eats through the plastic and then it snaps when theres not much left... but to actually remove the entire gantry, holy cow!!!!!

"Just check that the filament can feed freely before printing" is shit advice from them, because you can't see beyond one or two layers into a spool!
    No, this is the absolute best advice you can give to anyone with any printer. You LOAD FIRST before unloading. I don't know why it's not up in lights flashing on every printers website!! ALL my printers, FFs.. kossel, flashforge, prusa.. printrbot.. load first. Clear the shit out, push the crap through the nozzle, not pull it back up through the gears where its cold - if you do this you pretty much never get blockages.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12