Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The end of my printer (catastrophic failure)

The spool of filament had a horrible twist/knot in it. Looks like the extruder climbed up the filament and completely tore the gantry apart, ripped the belts, etc...

RIP

IMG_7437.jpg IMG_7438.jpg IMG_7441.jpg IMG_7442.jpg IMG_7444.jpg

Senior Engineer
    Hmm, I thought I knew what a failed print was, obviously I didn't.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    wow - well that's a pretty serious design fault !

I've had no end of filament overwraps. All that happens on mine is the filament either breaks or it just stops printing.

I guess they'll tell you it's because you didn't use their filament in the bottom feed filament holder.
    But that's not good.

No, they actually recommend you don't use the built-in filament holder.

Actually.... the damage looks like it's a lot worse then it might really be.

I mean, granted, I can't tell if the rods are cracked or bent from those photos, but from what I can see, a torn belt appears to be the only real damage here.

Well at least you can say that the extruder has super grip and/or the filament is really strong !

I wouldn't abandon too soon, you might be able to reinstall the gantry and resolder the extruder.

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    Well at least you can say that the extruder has super grip and/or the filament is really strong !

I wouldn't abandon too soon, you might be able to reinstall the gantry and resolder the extruder.
    The extruder isn't soldered to anything though.

That's why when I thought about it, I don't think the damage is that bad. I mean, granted, I can't tell if any of the parts in this photo are bent or cracked, but they won't appear to be in the photo. The two rods that the extruder runs across on the X axis can be removed like that easily, they have a "+" shaped hole in them (and similarly, those plastic bits on the belts across the Y axis have a + shaped bit sticking out for the rods ot fit into) they are in no way glued, soldered, or screwed down. I have had to take those rods off my gantry several times when I needed to remove the extruder to perform work on it. (I have had to remove and completely dissemble/reassemble that thing several times recently, have gotten a bit familiar with how that part of the printer's assembly works by now).

So considering that those two rods can just simply be put back into place, the only part where actual damage is apparent in that photo is the belt for the right-size y-axis part of the gantry, everything else can just be slipped back into place.

Again, this is assuming there aren't other damaged parts that aren't apparent in those photos.

Hello duck,

I've come across the tragic problem today, too. Since I do not expect a fast reply from M3D since it is now weekend I'm curious: How did they behave when you reached out to them ( I assume you did)?

Thanks,
    Horst

They eventually replied and said I'd have to pay shipping (about $50 each way) to get it to them and back. I decided not to do this and managed to glue everything back together on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck View Post
    They eventually replied and said I'd have to pay shipping (about $50 each way) to get it to them and back. I decided not to do this and managed to glue everything back together on my own.
    That's great, but don't you still want to print things ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast