Close

Pegasus 8" 3D Printer

A first-time buyer looking for a 3D printer might be tempted to purchase a lower-cost kit, rather than a more costly assembled machine--but often the case with assembling a printer from kit form is that it's simply time-consuming, rather than especially difficult. MakerFarm is among the companies offering 3D printer kits and components, and has now introduced a new kit priced at just $375. The Pegasus 8" machine is purportedly able to be assembled in just a few hours, capable of printing accurately and relatively quickly. Check out more details and specs on the Pegasus 8" in the full article: http://3dprint.com/89138/makerfarm-pegasus-8/

Student
    Follow theP13RC3 On Twitter Add theP13RC3 on Thingiverse
    Wow... I've loved my 12" Prusa i3v from Makerfarm since the day I got it, and now it looks like Colin's found another way to improve it!
    Should be way more rigid with the extrusions making up almost the whole frame, and it comes with some pretty nice options.

I may need to make another purchase from Makerfarm

Question Sounds GREAT... but I've run into some trouble!

I've been following 3D printers for a couple of years now... yearning for the day when I'd be able to build/purchase my own. I'd had my eye on MakerFarm's Prusa i3v line for more than a year (just dreaming... and drooling). However, this new Pegasus 8" was just the "deal" I was looking for to get me started. I ordered mine (with the Aluminum Heat Bed and LCD Panel)... and received it a couple of days ago.

Sadly... the excitement has started to dwindle. So far, I'm a little disappointed in the results. It seems to be a VERY nice, sturdy, smooth design. I'm sure that if I could get past several (probably minor) issues, it would be a FINE first 3D printer. The problem is that while the price suggests that this printer would be good for a beginner such as myself... the supporting information does not.

Here's some things to note:

• The printer did not include documentation of any kind... not even a "look on our website for build instructions"
    • The website has build instructions for MOST of their products... but NOT the Pegasus 8"
    • When I finally found documentation (thanks to the article mentioned above)... it was incomplete, incorrect, and out of order
      • Incomplete: because it does not include everything a beginner needs (and it often links you to other similar, but different, instructions that are not applicable to the Pegasus 8")
      • Incorrect: because it contains a few instructions that I later learned to be wrong... such as how to connect Z motor connectors to RAMPS
      • Out of Order: because it jumps around and has you complete tasks that are not possible without first completing actions that occur much later in the instructions

Luckily, I'm a tinkerer at heart (otherwise I wouldn't have even made this purchase)... so I was able to fumble my way through most of these issues, with a little trial and error.

Right now... I have a very sturdy and smooth operating 3D printer. I've got my motions working perfectly... and my bed leveling is looking GREAT!

BUT when I get to the part about testing the heat-bed and the hot-end... I'm stuck!! It doesn't matter if I try to use the optional LCD or the PronterFace software. When I set a temp is doesn't stick?? I select bed... and set it to 100. Then go to monitor it... and the setting returns to 0. I try the same with the extruder... and get similar results. nothing warms up... I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Can anyone point to the information I need to get printing?

Thanks!

Paul Riggs

------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: IT'S WORKING!!

Today, I contacted Colin of MakerFarm via Google Chat... he was VERY helpful! He talked me through some simple diagnostics... and within 20 minutes isolated my problem to a shorted thermistor (my fault). I was easily able to correct the situation... and now I'm printing!! YAY!
    Last edited by OneEarWillie; 09-07-2015 at 01:33 PM. Reason: updated post

Engineer-in-Training
    I know two Makerfarm i3v owners and they were very happy with their machines and the company.

The Pegasus is a very weird mix of wood and metal. I guess it shouldn't be surprising given how much of a holdout Makerfarm was with their wooden i3.

With no visible gussets or other corner joining parts, I wonder how well this holds squareness when it's moved or bumped. It would be even more critical for the assembler to tighten the frame fasteners and treat the frame gently.

Given the SRP and sale prices, I wonder if the Duplicator i3 really did a number on Makerfarm sales. The price point similarity could just be a coincidence though.
    Last edited by JRDM; 10-02-2015 at 07:13 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    sounds like a gcode mixup.

there is a line of gcode that tells the extruder to heat up and another one that tells it to maintain the temperature.

Never used pronterface - have you tried something like cura to see if it maintains heat with a different slicer ?

Quote Originally Posted by JRDM View Post
    I know two Makerfarm i3v owners and they were very happy with their machines and the company.

The Pegasus is a very weird mix of wood and metal. I guess it shouldn't be surprising given how much of a holdout Makerfarm was with their wooden i3.

With no visible gussets or other corner joining parts, I wonder how well this holds squareness when it's moved or bumped. It would be even more critical for the assembler to tighten the frame fasteners and treat the frame gently.

Given the SRP and sale prices, I wonder if the Duplicator i3 really did a number on Makerfarm sales. The price point similarity could just be a coincidence though.
    I've been VERY impressed with how sturdy it is.

I just finished my first spool of filament... and so far it seems rock solid.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    sounds like a gcode mixup.

there is a line of gcode that tells the extruder to heat up and another one that tells it to maintain the temperature.

Never used pronterface - have you tried something like cura to see if it maintains heat with a different slicer ?
    I updated the post above... to explain the problem. But is was a newbie mistake - I had allowed my thermistor wires to come in contact with the edge hotend heat-sink hole (the insulation slid back while installing). As soon as I fixed it... everything started working BEAUTIFULLY!! I'm loving this Printer!