Close

Technologist

Good 3D printing related books

Right now as an aspiring entrepreneur I am reading as many books as I can to gain knowledge on EVERYTHING 3D printing related. Be it manufacturing, education, economics or philosophy related I would like to read all subjects related to this industry in addition to my hands-on work. Please write down any books you have found informative and/or interesting.

One I can definitely recommend is Makers: The New Industrial Revolution by Chris Anderson.

Here are 3 of my recommendations

- 3D Printing: The Next Industrial Revolution by Christpher Barnatt
    - Fabricated: The New World of 3D Printing by Hod Lipson
    - 3D Printing for Dummies by Kirk Hausman (I know kinda lame but it has good info)

All should be available on Amazon.com

Student
    I would also make sure you buy a 3dprinter and start printing. Then you will have first hand experience of the technology!

I am in the same situation as SQUADUS where I want to balance a comprehensive understanding of the area with the practical experience. For anyone interested in the history and wider implications of 3D Printing as well as the current trends and main players I have read two great books of the ones that have been mentioned: "Fabricated: The New World of 3D Printing" by Hod Lipson & Melba Kurman, and "3D Printing: The Next Industrial Revolution" by Chris Barnatt. The first one is an introduction mostly for the un-initiated aimed at exciting and educating; the second one is more interesting I think for hobbyists and experts, being a comprehensive overview with many useful references. Both books are available in amazon in print as well as in eBook form.
    Last edited by ajperez; 11-19-2014 at 07:58 PM.

Another great little book is "Leo the Maker Prince" by Carla Diana which is the first children's book on 3D Printing. It is very well written and illustrated and I can tell you from experience it really entices the curiosity of children about technology in general and 3D printing in particular. At the same time it is lively and funny. The book's protagonist is the author herself who by chance and thanks to Hurricane Sandy meets Leo, a very unique robot who is also a 3D printer. Leo teaches Carla about all the wonderful things that can be created when robots and people work together and 3D print jewelry, tools, toys, food and even a moon base! Additionally, all of the projects from the book are available for free as .stl files so kids can see the book come to life. Needless to say I highly recommend this book.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    I just finished Makers by Chris Anderson and I also recommend it highly. It does not go into too much technical detail in how to employ 3d printing, but it sets the overall societal context and encourages to start a small maker business, or at least, start doing things with desktop fabrication machines.

What I would like to have is a more or less comprehensive book with achievements in design and technology for 3d printing, with a deeper look into the process, explaining successes and failures, and plenty of visual material. There should probably an annual publication with achievements of each year. So if anyone knows about the existence of something like that, I'd appreciate it if you let me know.