Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Waves in corners?

Before I keep explaining the problem I would like to apologize if I called this issue wrong name. I am new to this and I hope you can correct me.
    Maybe this is why I can't find it in forums or other places.

After every 90 degree corner my printer makes these tiny consistent and unnoticeable waves along walls. Its extra visible with the transparent blue PLA filament. You can barely see it but its there.
    Is there anything I can do to solve this?

Senior Engineer
    Slow down your print speed and acceleration settings if you have acceleration enabled. If you do not have acceleration enabled then enable it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Slow down your print speed and acceleration settings if you have acceleration enabled. If you do not have acceleration enabled then enable it.
    Already printing at 45mm/s. Will lower to 35mm/s and try again.
    This acceleration needs to be enabled in the printer settings or in the slicer? I use Makerbot software.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Acceleration is turned on in the front panel or with Rep G. Acceleration is tunable with Rep G when connnected via USB. Acceleration sounds like it speeds things up, however it actually controls how fast the mechanisms speed up and slow down. Those ripples are a common artifact of stopping too quickly and it makes the whole assembly shake. You can't see it with the naked eye. There are some good guides if you search for Sailfish documentation.

Another thing that also helps is to lessen the weight of the print head. If you find yourself printing mostly with only one extruder then it is good to remove one of the steppers and extruder/wiring. It's usually better to remove the left side since the right side is default and actuates the x motion position switch.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    another approach would be to say: It's barely noticeable - why worry about it ?

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    I'd call that a little more than barely noticeable. Most likely though that could be sanded out pretty easily. I generally try to tune my acceleration so I an run at about 100mm/s with one stepper/extruder removed and have minimal corner defects.

Corner ringing. See here for more info. Pay particular attention section 5.1.3.2

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    pleased to say I've never had any of those issues in the pictures.

Either that or I just don't examine things with a magnifying glass and winge about it (lol)

If it works it's good. Hell even the stuff I print at 0.4 layer height looks better than those pics.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    pleased to say I've never had any of those issues in the pictures.

Either that or I just don't examine things with a magnifying glass and winge about it (lol)

If it works it's good. Hell even the stuff I print at 0.4 layer height looks better than those pics.
    It must be Simplify 3D (thought I would get it in before you for a change)

Thanks Sebastian!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast