Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Technician
    Sorry if I'm late to the discussion; I found out this is the correct forum where everyone talks about Flashforge / Makerbot clones (I have a CTC). I've had success using Astroprint (http://astroprint.com). It's still being developed and doesn't seem as advanced as Octoprint, but between the two, it's the one that effortlessly installed for me on a Raspberry Pi. Acts as a go-between your printer and pc, and you can easily monitor the prints via webcam wireless and print from wherever.

Quote Originally Posted by cjalas View Post
    Sorry if I'm late to the discussion; I found out this is the correct forum where everyone talks about Flashforge / Makerbot clones (I have a CTC). I've had success using Astroprint (http://astroprint.com). It's still being developed and doesn't seem as advanced as Octoprint, but between the two, it's the one that effortlessly installed for me on a Raspberry Pi. Acts as a go-between your printer and pc, and you can easily monitor the prints via webcam wireless and print from wherever.
    Actually this is exactly the sort of thing I have been looking for.
    But it pretty expensive.

Technician
    Astroprint to my knowledge is free?

Technician
    If you have a Raspberry Pi, you can install the Astroprint firmware onto SD card. Follow the instructions on their website, it's pretty simple to setup. You don't need a monitor or keyboard or mouse just insert a properly formatted SD card with the Astroprint software, connect to the WiFi Access Point it creates and go from there.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    still seems unnecessarily complicated.
    if the printer is already connected to a networked computer. Why add another computer into the mix instead of using the existing one with free software ?

i would say because the rpi uses 5v, where as most peoples laptops and pc's and monitors use much more.
    so it's more energy efficient. it's also set up for a dedicated task. so you can set it and forget it and go and do other things with your laptop or pc.
    and if you need to you can shut it down, reboot it. etc all while your print is unaffected because it has a dedicated device.

Technician
    What ffvader said. Also you run it headless and it can be portable enough to fit into the 3d printer housing if need be. I have mine attached to the outside, and run the 5v power off the printer's psu (using a 24vdc to 5vdc usb adapter). Sweet, simple, low power and effective. Now if only Astroprint would add more features.... meh.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    okay - sounds good.

I tend to forget that other peopel donm't have a workshop full of pc bits. It's generally quicker and cheaper for me to build a pc for a job than mess around with raspberry pi's - particularly as I;ve never managed to get my pi to display a picture on anything other than our telly.
    If I ever could get it to work I;m sure I;d use it for something.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12