Close

How many Extruders possible on a RepRap?

What's the most extruders that anyone has jammed into a RepRap? I'm now strongly considering building one. Is it possible to build a monster of a printer with a ton of Extruders? I'm very unfamiliar with RepRaps, so please forgive me.

I know it's probably possible to have 4 extruders. Can you have more than that?

Technologist
    It seem to me that there isn't any physical limit. Probably is a practical limit though. There are a few four nozzle extruders coming to the market now. Not sure how they work but might give you some ideas. The Kraken (http://e3d-online.com/The-Kraken) is a bowden fed four nozzle hot end. I guess you could put two of them on a reprap fairly easily to get eight different colors.

I honestly don't see a need for more than 4 extruders (at least not yet with current technology).

Part of it depends on your electronics. The current RAMPS board (1.4) has hookups for two extruders. I'm not sure about other controllers.

If you're handy as circuit work, you *could* add more extruder controllers. Then, you'd have to modify your code for extruder selection and offsets.

I agree with NJ. There really isn't a practical need for more than three or four heads.

Technologist
    I think that the Azteeg x3 controller will do four extruders now. Personally, I've never felt the need for more than one extruder but I can also see the cool factor in having more.

I like the idea of 4 extruders, but never really have a need for them. Why would you want more than 4? I don't really see any reasonable explanation.