Close

Angry Filament bunching up around extruder and not sticking to bed

NEW FlashForge Creator Pro Dual

So i was very exited b/c I successfully printed 3 ABS parts with no issues at all. However,
    I've been trying since yesterday to get my 4th print with no success. The filament wraps itself
    around the extruder and not to the bed. See picture attached. I have checked temperatures with
    my digital thermometer and it all comes to temp. Using same filament included with the bundle from FlashForge
    that yielded 3 successful prints. Only change was I had to level the bed for a second time since it lost
    level, from prying off the three previous prints.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Level your bed to 1 paper height. Use hairspray or kapton tape on the bed and turn up the bed temp to 110 dec C.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Yep, as Joop said your bed is not level.

If the nozzle is not close enough to the bed, the plastic cannot stick.. and ends up doing exactly what you pictured.

I used to level my bed and then print, now.. I just print out a random object and level the bed while it's printing, not caring about the print being finished, more just getting that first layer to print perfectly. I just find it's easier to do it all when it's all still hot and warm and less waiting for preheats.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Only change was I had to level the bed for a second time
    You answered your own question :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Yep, as Joop said your bed is not level.

If the nozzle is not close enough to the bed, the plastic cannot stick.. and ends up doing exactly what you pictured.

I used to level my bed and then print, now.. I just print out a random object and level the bed while it's printing, not caring about the print being finished, more just getting that first layer to print perfectly. I just find it's easier to do it all when it's all still hot and warm and less waiting for preheats.
    Geoff, thanks for the reply. Can you go more into detail how it is you "level the bed while it's printing"? Do you pause the print and level the bed then continue printing?? Sorry, very newbie here.

Thanks and thanks to all that replied.

ABS aging

Quote Originally Posted by abesau View Post
    NEW FlashForge Creator Pro Dual
    We are spoiled aren't we? All the prints I made the first month and a half where really nice but now I'm getting the same thing you are. My printer is now nearing 2 months old. I'm guessing my ABS, out for the whole time, is absorbing moisture, because it now curls back on itself, strings and doesn't stick to the build platform. I'm going to try taking the spools off and putting them in a tightly closed bin with silica (a bucket of Damp Rid, from Lowes) to see if that helps.

If this is your problem, no amount of bed leveling will fix it. Even if it starts with good adhesion, the curling back does eventually grab the object and yank it off the platform. See attached photos.
    DSCF2246.jpgDSCF2247.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AmyInNH View Post
    We are spoiled aren't we? All the prints I made the first month and a half where really nice but now I'm getting the same thing you are. My printer is now nearing 2 months old. I'm guessing my ABS, out for the whole time, is absorbing moisture, because it now curls back on itself, strings and doesn't stick to the build platform. I'm going to try taking the spools off and putting them in a tightly closed bin with silica (a bucket of Damp Rid, from Lowes) to see if that helps.

If this is your problem, no amount of bed leveling will fix it. Even if it starts with good adhesion, the curling back does eventually grab the object and yank it off the platform. See attached photos.
    DSCF2246.jpgDSCF2247.jpg
    Yes, very similar issue. However, do you think the filament would absorb that much moisture having only been out for 3 days (in my case)?? I guess it depends on your geographical location. I didn't think Dallas Tx. area was that humid, but then again it might be. It worries me if it is moisture that causes these issues. i wonder how hard
    it would be to return the printer to FlashForge and get a refund and wait a couple more year till all the kinks are worked out of 3D printing.

Thanks for sharing