Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3D printing and creativity

Hi everybody,

First of all sorry for my english, is not my native language so, I will probably make some mistakes.

I'm doing an school project about 3D printing and creativity. I'm trying to find out the relation between this two concepts.

Right now, my work consists in finding the interconnection in 3D printing and creativity. I'm also creating and designing stuff and upload them to the most popular webpages to know how internet can help me to have more and more downloads. You maybe have some ideas to add in it!

I would like to know if you have some ideas in your mind.

And I'm also want to know what you think about 3D printing and creativity.

Thank you all!

Technologist
    OK..., I'll go first.

First, I'm very new to 3d printing, and I know others are very much further along than I am technically, as well as in regards to "creative" applications of 3d printing.

I am a recovering Silicon Valley refugee. I've been involved w/ computer tech since 4th grade (over 44 years). Incorporating computer tech into daily life in one way or another has become deeply ingrained, and I make no apology for that.

Just the same, these days, I'm trying very hard to carve out places for new things in my life, and artistic expression is one of those things. At the moment, I'm exploring pottery as a means to that end.

I have very little or no artistic background/training/skills, and yet without much thought, 3d printing seemed a natural way to bring together my past skills with my new pottery hobby. It is helping me to find my "artistic" voice by allowing me to use the skills I DO have (computer/technical) to help give expression and to help me craft a physical manifestation of something I otherwise might not attempt, or which would consume too much time.

At the moment, 3d printing augments my pottery pretty simply: I use it to make various die cutters or tools to create various interesting shapes/things that are applied to either hand-built or thrown pottery pieces. I've only recently begun to have some success with this, so I don't have any pictures to share quite yet (but I will soon!).

FWIW, it also helps that I've found a couple of other "practical" applications for 3d printing as well..., which at the very least helps reinforce the notion that the 3d printing activity is overall, very worthwhile for me.

As an aside, I'll admit I don't have much interest in 3d printed shapes per se, i.e., I don't find creative expression in the shape itself, but only in the way that it helps me to create something in another medium. My non-artistic or non-craft related uses of 3d printing, while interesting to me, are purely utilitarian.

I hope this is something like the kind of answer you were looking for.

Cheers!

Staff Engineer
    I think 3D printing is a boon to creativity. Many people want to make things, but don't have the facilities or skills to produce anything like what they have in mind. Now, with just a computer, which most people have anyway, they can produce sculpture, crafts items, or functional parts in a variety of materials. Of course, it's not necessary to actually own 3D printers to take advantage of them, since there are service bureaus and networks of printer owners ready to take ones 3D model files and bring them into physical reality for a small fee.

While most 3D printers aimed at the consumer can only print small items rather roughly in plastic, there are a range of other machines that can handle other materials which the service bureaus give access to, so it's a lot easier to make things in a variety of materials, configurations and colors than it ever was before. That's great for anyone's creativity.

Andrew Werby
    Juxtamorph.com

Thanks Awerby,

It's what I was looking for!

Can I message you by another way? I think that you would help me.

Thank you another time!

Aniol
    @toyswine

Staff Engineer
    Sure; message me any way you want. You can use the private message function of this site, or send me an email directly.

Engineer-in-Training
    I think printing enhances creativity by allowing designs to go-forward farther than they would have otherwise.

Follow Bobby Lin On Twitter Add Bobby Lin on Facebook Add Bobby Lin on Google+
    In my personal opinion, 3d printing is a key in unleashing our creativity. 3d printing can let you have your own unique design realized and 3d printed. The good thing is that your 3d model can be printed in various materials and you don't even need to own a 3d printer to have it printed. I've seen great breakthroughs in 3d Printing. Fashion clothes are now emerging with customized and creative designs made by fashion designers, customized prosthetic in Medicine, 3d printing food, etc. 3d Printing is about to change how the world works.

However, the hurdle in 3d printing and unleashing your creativity is that, you can only maximize it if you know how to 3d print. I am hoping that everyone can enjoy the opportunities of 3d printing, even an ordinary person who didn't have knowledge about 3d printing.

3DPrintBoardPro Member car3less's Avatar
    Follow car3less On Twitter Add car3less on Facebook Add car3less on Shapeways
    Creativity is usually based on the background of a person, education, culture etc and satisfying their needs. 3d printing , the variety of materials to test and the ability to do that even at home became like a boost for imagination and a link between the previous two.

3d printing makes you think on how you can combine different materials and technologies.

For example, I created some jewelry by combining 3d printed parts with wool or leather and the combination was really unexpected. Despite the fact it was mainly plastic used, its ivory color and the wool made it warm and with a traditional effect connected to my country history. And computer modeling helped to transform old traditional motifs in stylish accessories by modifying original shapes. My background is in architecture, so spatial vision and modeling were educated skills and this made me skip a big problem for many.
    Printare 3D Bucuresti

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Arthur C. Clarke

It's quite easy question, just like I want a powerful PC to play some computer games like WOT and NSF, but a desktop is ugly I think. So I design a structure and install all parts by my own hands. Now my PC just like a modern castle, this is real creativity.

It's quite easy question, just like I want a powerful PC to play some computer games like WOT and NSF, but a desktop is ugly I think. So I designed a structure and install all parts by my own hands. Now my PC just like a modern castle, this is real creativity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast