Close

Makerbot Replicator 2 printing problem

Hi, I've got a Replicator 2 with 600 hours on it and it suddenly won't print. I can change the filament fine, and feed it for a while. but when I load a project it doesn't feed the PLA and starts clicking. I've disassembled, cleaned & replaced the drive gear, but no change. I've also raised the temp from 230 to 240 but nothing. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

What is the actual temp displayed on the readout? Its easy to type 23 instead of 230 (happens to me often enough ). It could also be dodgy filament. Have you confirm the diameter over, say, a metre length?

The temp on the readout is the same as I've set it to. (230c or 240c.) I've tried multiple filament colors/brands I have in stock. I just received a spool from makerbot and that didn't work either.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Tricky one. Is the bed levelled correctly? If its too close that would also prevent a print and cause the extruder to click. (I realize at 600 hrs you know what you're doing; just throwing stuff out there...)

It's level. I'm starting to suspect the nozzle is not heating up enough. I just tried changing the filament again, and it wouldn't come out easily. Maybe I have to replace the nozzle & hot end assembly?

Bad thermistor maybe? Only way to find out is to replace it, unfortunately.

Before we start replacing parts you should try a manual extrusion with the fan, heatsink, and drive block removed. With those components removed manually push filament into the extruder. This will allow you to confirm if there is a heating problem or not.

If you're able to extrude the issue is probably due to your drive block or drive gear. Please also make sure your extruder assembly is assembled in the proper order and your ceramic insulation tape is in good condition. I've attached a photo of the correct assembly order.

Extruder Assembly Order and Orientation.jpg

Thanks, The extruder assembly is setup correctly as illustrated by you picture. I heated it up and I was able to manually push filament through. So it's heating up as you said. ran a print and it printed for the first 10% then air printed the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by MCRDesign View Post
    Thanks, The extruder assembly is setup correctly as illustrated by you picture. I heated it up and I was able to manually push filament through. So it's heating up as you said. ran a print and it printed for the first 10% then air printed the rest.
    Are you certain the fan is facing the correct way? The silver sticker on the front facing extruder fan should face towards the heat sink blades. Once you've confirmed that make sure your ceramic insulation tape is securely fastened and undamaged.

Make sure there are no hairline fractures in your drive block. Unfortunately issues like that can occur over time. Is your drive gear very loose? You may need to tighten the set screw. Please also make sure to clean any debris from the drive gear "teeth".

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It turns out I have a few things that need attention. The fan was pointing the wrong way and my ceramic insulation tape is I bad shape. ordered a new drive block with nozzle and tape. Once I get it I'll let you know how it turns out. I really appreciate your help!!!