Close

Slicer/Marlin - How to get the extruder away from the print when a print finishes

I'm sure there has to be a simple way to make this happen.

Whenever I finish a print, the extruder is left sitting over (on) the finished print. Since no filament is retracted, and the head is still on the print, I get a gob of filament there. If I'm watching (which is often), immediately when the print finishes I use R-H's manual controls to home X, raise Z and retract some filament.

But this has to be a common problem for everyone. Is there some setting in Slicer or Marlin that will move the print head out of the way when a print finishes?

Thanks, Ira

this is a simple thing to do in your slicing program (i use slic3r) there should be a section for custom G code at the beginning and end of the print .. simply seting a G code X,Y coordinate at the end will do what you want

You know, I searched for this (more than once) in each part of all of the slicer config screens and looked right past it every time. Thank you - that's exactly what I was looking for.

Technician
    Add ZorAxe on Thingiverse
    Open up Repetier-Host, load your .stl file, click the Silc3r tab and click "Configuration".

When the window opens up, click on the ""Printer Settings" tab and click "Custom G-Code" from the left side menu.

Make sure under the "End G-Code" section that G28 is listed there. G28 is your homing G-Code. That will move all your axis to the home position.

I think by default it says G28 X0, which means it will only home your X-axis. Y and Z will stay in the same place.

Try that and let me know how it goes.

Senior Engineer
    Take care here. If your G28 Z position is 0 then you may end up driving your print into your head.

G28 XY will home X and Y only and leave Z where it is. If you want to move Z away then you should really do it with relative positioning as you will have variable height prints.

So:
    These two can be on the same line, both executed together as stated above.
    G28 X < home X axis
    G28 Y < home Y axis

Switch to relative mode
    G91

Drop Z by 30 mm from current position.
    G0 Z 30

That should be safe for anything unless I have missed something.

Thanks for all of the info. I had the command:

G1 X170 Y0 (X axis inverted on this printer)

that I wanted to insert, but for the life of me I couldn't find the place to put it (obvious once I was led to it).

Also good to know about the G91 command - I didn't want to "home" the Z Axis for the reason stated above, but now knowing about G91 I can safely raise the head regardless of where the print left off.

Technician
    Add ZorAxe on Thingiverse
    Ok great. Glad it's working!