Close

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Technologist
    To be honest, the projector and webcam only cost me £100. The David software is £300 so for £400 I could have a complete SLS setup.
    But like I said, there's more work involved with David and it's more time consuming so I'm happy to pay extra for the Afinia to reduce all that and still achieve good quality scans.

For mesh simplification I use Vizup http://vizup.com/products.html. I also use GOM Inspect (brilliant piece of software), Meshmixer. But Vizup I find keeps the geometry and shows you 10 different reductions to choose from.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by This View Post
    The software is one of the reasons I bought the Einscan-s, you can do fast 3D scans in high detail in minutes, but am still learnig to rduce the file zise without losing too much detail.
    Just wondered what method you're using for reducing file size.
    A couple of scans I've tried to slice in Simplify3d have failed to load as they were too big.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by scobo View Post
    Just wondered what method you're using for reducing file size.
    A couple of scans I've tried to slice in Simplify3d have failed to load as they were too big.
    The filesizes can get pretty large fast,
    I let the scan software optimize the mesh data 50% (for large objects), then open in Rhino3D en let the software do a reduce mesh,
    keep the slider on higher accuracy, and reduce between 30% and 60%

objects with a lot of smooth surfaces can be reduce more, and if it has more details I just do a few tests until I can visually see a difference.

I still have to test meshmixer, to see what size difference I can get
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=921cDYBpuL4

Technologist
    Thanks, didn't know Meshmixer could do that.
    So you use the "Simplify" option in the scan software first ?
    Last edited by scobo; 04-08-2016 at 03:30 PM.

Engineer-in-Training
    The "simplify" option is also a mesh decimation option,
    I only do it with large objects, this makes more easy to import into Meshmixer or Rhino3D.

depending on what kind of object you scan, you want to keep more control if you are going to reduce the mesh (if you want or need to),
    and the "simplify" doesn't show you a preview how it will look after decimation.
    Meshmixer gives you more options and a preview before accepting the settings

Technologist
    I've been playing around with Meshlab, the simplication filter does a pretty good job of reducing a mesh.
    I can't see any difference in quality at 50% reduction and of course, it cuts the file size in half.

Technologist
    After a few days playing around with it, I've got to say it's an excellent bit of kit !
    The auto alignment really is fantastic, way better than any other software.
    Still trying to find a way round the hole filling though. Anyone have a way of dealing with this ?

Engineer-in-Training
    They would need to adjust thee software, and I wonder if the Pro version has this option ?

Do you have trouble with the hole filling ?, I just keep on scanning until I can't see any holes in the preview before completing the scan.
    and only have alignment problems once in a while

Technologist
    I find the software sometimes fills in too much of the scan and fills areas that shouldn't be filled.
    This was mentioned in another thread but I don't think a full solution was given.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast