Close

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Student
    Add Nerv on Facebook
    Neil,

I use a simple "lazy susan" bearing I purchased at Lee Valley for $10, it can hold up to 1000lbs. This I turn by hand and it works very well. Much like Hughes I use the focus of the cross to tell me when distance is correct. Here is a tip: If you can't see it in both scanning screens, it will not capture that data.

You will find that when you scan objects that have corners/edges on them that as you rely on the auto alignment just due to accumulated errors the scans will not line up when you get back to where you started. My solution has been to place the object on a surface that has plenty of very simple but unique details that allow the software to always have plenty of data to align to. Right before my most recent crash I had a perfectly aligned scan that looked great. The base also saves time because the scans almost always align perfectly even if you have turned the turntable quite a bit. Once again, when you are dealing with a shape like a cube, when you pass over to capture a new face that wasn't present in previous scans, the auto alignment will likely not work. This has been my experience anyway.

Hugues, what do you mean you don't bother with water tight anymore? Have you found a way to import the raw scan data into another program? I was trying to find out what format the scan data was in to try to do that myself, as I do know a couple programs that would work very well with such great scan data. I would be very interested in hearing more. I'm importing the meshes into Solidworks 2014 but that relies on EinScan-S not crashing out before I get that far. Once I get into SW though, its "Scan to 3D" add-in is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerv View Post

Hugues, what do you mean you don't bother with water tight anymore? Have you found a way to import the raw scan data into another program?...
    well, i gave a bit more info in my PM, i did not find a way to import the raw data in any soft that i use afterwards, only in one online reader.

I use 3Dcoat to import the stl file created by the Einscan software (http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php), they have a free fully functional demo version, pretty cool what you can do.

I would guess very few people 3dprint directly the stl file created by einscan. YOu need to clean it a bit, do some mods or other stuff. Myself i actually build/sculpt other parts around the scanned part, so i rarely 3dprint my scans. When you import a mesh into 3dcoat, you can voxelize it, and then recreate a mesh afterwards, so that's wht i meant by not caring too much about the water-tightness of the initial scan file. I think mesh were not meant to be sculpted and deformed too much, and they are not a volume, but a skin. Voxels are a volume, which you can sculpt, deform, stretch, do boolean operations on, which you cannot do with meshes.

Student
    Add Nerv on Facebook
    I'm sure your familiar with Solidworks, when you run the appropriate tools in SW it assists you in making fully parametric models from the scanned mesh, which can easily be cleaned and simplfied too. I did have to convert the STL to OBJ in meshlab first though, no other operation other than just changing the file type. Just another little annoyance I wish the EinScan-S software did itself.

I've been working professionally with Solidworks for the past 10 years so with the data modeling the objects afterward is a breeze. I wish the geomagic add-in for SW could be purchased without the "Capture" scanner, but alas, it cannot as far as I know.

Hey Dave
    Thanks for the heads up-picked up a lazy susan bearing yesterday for that very purpose.Ill give it a crack over the next couple of days.

Follow 3DWP On Twitter Add 3DWP on Shapeways Add 3DWP on Thingiverse
    I'm waiting for my scanner, hopefully August right? Third batch I believe.. I didn't see the Einscan S as a handscanner but did think it was possible to make it one. In the Kickstarter they said something about ''no laser so safe for eyes''.. But they also said desktop scanner so I'm not disappointed by that. I am worried about the comments about the automatic hole filling.. I thought you could easily scan multiple angles of the model and build it watertight as much as possible yourself - the ability to save scans in between is a must in my opinion! Other software and scanners have this also and it's logical to prevent waste of time.

So Shining 3D, I hope you will add the option of auto watertight/saving surface mesh to the software. I'm excited to get my scanner, the pictures I did see look great.

Hey 3DWP
    If you check the video on the Shining 3D promo for einscan-s
    https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.ne...-h264_high.mp4
    you would expect that the software has editing options -it doesnt.There are also the issues that Nerv has encountered .The scanner has some "teething"issues that hopefully Shining can address to make it a really good scanner.

Follow 3DWP On Twitter Add 3DWP on Shapeways Add 3DWP on Thingiverse
    Exactly, you can see in the video that in free scan mode the scanner is moving around the object. That's also why I assumed it could be a handscanner. I did wonder why there would be a restriction to 700 mm in Free scan mode - now I know why ;-)

And the software in the video certainly suggests scanning multiple parts or angles and combining them: the puppet with the head.

I don't want to complain about something I don't have yet but people that do state that the software is more basic than we were lead to believe.

The hardware is up to par, the algorithms too, now hopefully the software will get some added features. They would add color too, right? Maybe that's a nice moment for Shining 3D to add an ''Advanced'' tab for more options or at least those features we are now talking about.

Student
    I just received my Einscan-S, but have not been able to get it setup yet.
    I immediately stumbled though getting it set up. The website is very unresponsive, so downloading the install software (not included on a CD/DVD or anything) took about a dozen tries, it kept hanging up. But after finally being able to retrieve the software (~67 MB) and installing it it does not want to connect to my Einscan-S hardware. Anybody else have this problem? I have sent an email to support@shining3d.com, but have not heard back yet. When connecting the USB cables windows reports a connection and I can use VLC media player to see what the two cameras in the scanner see and the two cameras show up in the device manager and the projector displays an image (extended destop) so everything 'seems' to be connected properly. The software connects to the turntable fine, but complains that the 3D scanner is unconnected... Clicking on the "Connect" button just changes the software to report "Connecting..." but in fact never finds the scanner and stays there for eternity. There is no configuration or other settings available to point it in the right direction, or trouble shooting available. Did anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks for any feedback from the community (or Shining3D). Looking at the current status on Kickstarter they only sold about 200 units of the Einscan-S model... The company has many more and higher grade scanners available, so hoping they will really try to break into the consumer market and bring some of the features that are promised to the Einscan-S software; the specs is what sold me on the scanner.

hi,

i did not have the connection problem you describe,

but with the file you downloaded, when you extract it, you will find a pdf file with all sorts of things to install, did you follow these instructions ? I solved one of my problem like this. it's kind of a troubleshooting file.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieW View Post
    I just received my Einscan-S, but have not been able to get it setup yet.
    I immediately stumbled though getting it set up. The website is very unresponsive, so downloading the install software (not included on a CD/DVD or anything) took about a dozen tries, it kept hanging up. But after finally being able to retrieve the software (~67 MB) and installing it it does not want to connect to my Einscan-S hardware. Anybody else have this problem? I have sent an email to support@shining3d.com, but have not heard back yet. When connecting the USB cables windows reports a connection and I can use VLC media player to see what the two cameras in the scanner see and the two cameras show up in the device manager and the projector displays an image (extended destop) so everything 'seems' to be connected properly. The software connects to the turntable fine, but complains that the 3D scanner is unconnected... Clicking on the "Connect" button just changes the software to report "Connecting..." but in fact never finds the scanner and stays there for eternity. There is no configuration or other settings available to point it in the right direction, or trouble shooting available. Did anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks for any feedback from the community (or Shining3D). Looking at the current status on Kickstarter they only sold about 200 units of the Einscan-S model... The company has many more and higher grade scanners available, so hoping they will really try to break into the consumer market and bring some of the features that are promised to the Einscan-S software; the specs is what sold me on the scanner.
    Hey RonnieW
    Check the Serial No and make sure you have registered the correct No.It is easy to select the wrong one from the list.Because the software is coded to your scanner if the wrong number is used it will display like you have said.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast