Close

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training
    I think your only solution is to do a free scan, and import all the scans into Meshlab, and stitch the scans manually,
    but then you also have to fill the holes manually.

would it not be an option to adjust the area that was filled improperly in Meshmixer or other software ?
    you can manually sculpt in Meshmixer, I have smoothed surfaces with ease, and adjusted holes and surface bumps.

Technologist
    Yeah, I've used Meshmixer for miner repairs and it does a good job but an object I scanned recently had a pattern on the outside which consisted of dozens of holes.
    During the scan, the holes appeared correctly but Shinig3d filled them all in during meshing.
    It would have taken hours to fix this in Meshmixer.
    Just wondered if there was a way around this to avoid a lot of manual editing.

Engineer-in-Training
    Holes are a particular problem with scanning, if the scanner has no visual on the bottom of the hole, it tries to connect the open end surfaces of that hole.
    one solution is to fill the holes to s certain depth, so you can adjust later in any CAD program.
    wax or wet paper towels balls help

Sometimes when I do a free scan, the scan shows not a smooth surface but lots of ridges or broken up surfaces,
    I just click on manual alignment, en remove that particular scan, and rescan that part.

But don't forget, you sometimes need to prep the object for scanning, like filling holes, or make a stand to align it in a certain way.
    I use large matt black pins , black foam and polished perspex (glass) to hold to object, these are not seen by the scanner and removed when aligning.
    Last edited by This; 04-12-2016 at 05:40 AM.

Technologist
    Haven't tried freescan mode yet.
    I'll it give a try next.
    I also use a clear perspex cup to mount objects.

Student
    Is everyone still happy with this scanner? Has anyone tried or used the Scanify 3D scanner? I think the software is key. I did not have very good luck with the Fuel3D software. The auto stitch did not seem to work at all.

Technologist
    Yup, more than happy. I'm blown away by the Eiscan-s (mine is rebadged as the Afinia ES360).
    Other scanners I've tried are BQ Cyclop, Matter & Form, David Laserscanner, 123D Catch. None of them come anywhere close to the scan quality/speed of this one.
    To be fair, you can get very good results with David Laserscanner and an SLS setup but it requires a LOT more post-scan work. You can easily spend an hour with David cleaning up and aligning scans.
    This scanner does the whole job in about 3 minutes with one click of the mouse !

Student
    Awesome to know. I'm looking to buy right now!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scobo View Post
    Yup, more than happy. I'm blown away by the Eiscan-s (mine is rebadged as the Afinia ES360).
    Other scanners I've tried are BQ Cyclop, Matter & Form, David Laserscanner, 123D Catch. None of them come anywhere close to the scan quality/speed of this one.
    To be fair, you can get very good results with David Laserscanner and an SLS setup but it requires a LOT more post-scan work. You can easily spend an hour with David cleaning up and aligning scans.
    This scanner does the whole job in about 3 minutes with one click of the mouse !

also very glad here, used it again last night, no headaches, even after 2 months without using it, successful scan on first attempt.

Student
    I just placed my order. I should have my scanner by the end of the week!!!! I was very disappointed with the Fuel3D and Scanify software. None of the scans would automatically align. Seems from reading here that is not an issue! Looking forward to trying it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugues View Post
    also very glad here, used it again last night, no headaches, even after 2 months without using it, successful scan on first attempt.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by svt04cobra View Post
    I just placed my order. I should have my scanner by the end of the week!!!! I was very disappointed with the Fuel3D and Scanify software. None of the scans would automatically align. Seems from reading here that is not an issue! Looking forward to trying it out!
    Aligning is fully automatic with the turtable and you won't have any issues.
    With free scan mode (without the turtable) the software will attempt to align each scan individually but will sometimes fail if there isn't enough overlap. You then get the option to align manually by selecting up to 3 points or delete the last scan and reposition the object to try again.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast