floor thickness .80mm
    coarseness .00010
    Travel speed 100mm
    Temp 212
    Bed 55*
    layer height .2
    infill 90mm/s
    infill 100%

The floor layer is nice and smooth and the roof is crap. Really rough and grainy but the settings are the same for both floor and roof. Any ideas on what I can change?

When I do a 100% infill, I have to use 95% to 97% flow instead of 100. If I use 100, the middle infill bulges up and the nozzle dragging through it gives it a rough surface.

Student
    Where is the flow settings? Is that infill density?

Add jheikkila54 on Thingiverse
    Hey Gamble, joop is correct, the issue you are seeing is flow rate or overextrusion. I usually print a 20x20 cube at 100% infill with each new roll of filament and then adjust my flow rate from there. What software are you using? That way I can show you exactly where you need to go.

Student
    Thank you! I'm using the makerbot desktop version 3.7.0.95

MakerBot didn't provide a flow setting in their MakerBot Desktop.

What is the roof and floor look like?
    A photo of your print will be good for judgement.

what is your printer brand? It must be better if you can upload some photos.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    If you want smoother surfaces look for a setting called ironing in your slicer.

Set for top an bottom surfaces or all flat surfaces.

I have a similar issue... I'm new to 3D printing and have an Ender 3 Pro. I still not a master of Cura, but have run into a setting(s), that may be wrong. I want to do the ironing process on my top layer of a simple face plate and getting very strange results.
    See attached pictures. This is the first time trying 'ironing' after watching a youtube video. Been printing other's files and have not done a lot with any designs myself - yet. Obviously I've got some wrong.

I just installed and calibrate a new hotend and extruder assembly and got things printing as I expected, except for the top layer. It looks like it's trying to do some sort of wave action along the edges, but is not uniformly on all edges. I could use the bed side for the front, but would like to know how to get a nice smooth finished top layer in the future. I'm using Cura to slice and haven't mastered all the nuance of the settings it has. Since I need to do several mockups, I don't need real fine resolution, so I changed my nozzle to a .4mm from a .2mm. So, it's likely one of the iron settings I've got wrong. Advice, opinions?

20211113_090253.jpg20211113_090244.jpg

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    don't bother with ironing. a few minutes with a sanding block will be quicker and probably give a much better finished surface anyway.

I mean the surface looks like it's been melted - which is what ironing does. So, yeah lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast