Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    3. 3D printing is expensive and inaccessible.
    Although an in-home 3D printer may cost a couple thousand dollars,
    fully built and ready to go machines can be had for under $400. Kits for $250
    Surely the article writer isn't deliberately trying to get people to use his printing service ;-)

Oh wait - yes he is.

Other than that - pretty basic article, but not bad.

lmao just noticed that it's bobby's article for his service :-)

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    fully built and ready to go machines can be had for under $400. Kits for $250
    Surely the article writer isn't deliberately trying to get people to use his printing service ;-)

Oh wait - yes he is.

Other than that - pretty basic article, but not bad.

lmao just noticed that it's bobby's article for his service :-)
    True, but I don't think that equates to a biased article. It's seemed fairly unbiased to me.

The whole 3D printed gun argument... seems to be more of an American/European issue. Here people resort to good, old-fashioned necklacing to get the job done...

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Lin View Post
    Interesting article! You're definitely right that we have some legal issues to worry about for the future of 3D printing. I personally think the technology will become ubiquitous, similar to regular printing, and that governments will require certain licenses or regulations to print certain objects from 3D printers. But, still, focusing on the good of 3D printing is important.

You might like this article, as well: https://mylocal3dprinting.com/blog/3...hs-vs-reality/ It explores the internet-based myths you have to watch out for with 3D printing.
    Bobby, I am sorry but your "Myths" article is full of them itself. Or at least are incomplete or half truths.

1. 3D printing is complex.
    Well. It is. There is a heck of a lot going on to make a 3D print. And the statement "Also, only one simple material “ink” is needed to 3D print something.". Only partially true. Many things can be printed from a single material. However, many things can't or aren't. Different materials can and are used in printers with multiple extruders. For example, you could print something using ABS for the structure but also extrude Ninjaflex to provide flexible areas such as grips or hinges.

2. 3D printing is bad for the environment.
    Subtractive manufacturing is only a small part of manufacturing. The vast majority of manufacturing of products is done by injection molding which is NOT subtractive. And you only speak to SLS type 3D printing here. Extrusion type printing (common home 3D printers) do produce waste in the form of support structures and such. So there can be waste here. Injection molding does produce some waste (spues and trellises for example) however this waste can be kept to a minimum when producing large volume. So 3D printing can be bad for the environment, but it can be, at times, better than conventional manufacturing when you factor in the need to transport individual parts/items from the plant to you. It all depends on what you print, how you print it and what material you are printing with.

5. 3D printing is dangerous.
    Only partially true bout printing guns. And it depends on the gun, and the design of the gun. 3D printing a "traditional" design, I would agree is more complicated, or at least harder, than manufacturing it using traditional CNC methods. That is simply because it was DESIGNED that way. When most of these designs were developed, CNC or even hand milling was the ONLY method to manufacture the parts. One of the most popular designs is the 1911. Guess why it is called a 1911? Because it was designed in the year 1911. At that point in time CNC wasn't even a dream, let alone a reality. And there were no 3D printers and no method at that time of deposition manufacturing. However, since 3D printing is here and is mainstream and is widespread, new designs of firearms WILL be developed with these CURRENT manufacturing methods in mind. Those designs may well turn the table here. They may be impossible to make using traditional CNC and can ONLY be 3D printed.

Does that make 3D printing dangerous? IMHO no. But it scares the crap out of governments who seek to oppress, control and dictate and elates those of us who seek freedom and liberation from those governments and their meddling in our personal affairs. So the government brands them dangerous in order to convince us that they are protecting us from ourselves. What they are protecting is their domination and their offices. Not us. Politicians have guards and secret service. We do not. Do you have a Secret service agent hiding in the crowd when you are out at a conert or movie? I certainly don't. Who is protecting who here?

6. 3D printers are new.
    1981. Not 1984. I suggest you research Hideo Kodama.

8. 3D printers are magic.
    "You still have to create a 3D model online, purchase the materials, and wait a few hours to print something from a 3D printer." Um, no you don't. Not one design I have ever made, was made online. I do put most of them online for others to use. But NONE were made online. With home extruders you can manufacture the materials yourself, or at least convert them into filament from a source (either recycled material or fresh resin beads). And to use your "ink" analogy here, people don't make their printer ink or toner at home either so that point is pretty much moot. Some designs print in second or minutes. Some hours. Some even days. Depends on the design, speed of printer and method used. There are now in-freaking-sane fast resin printing methods. I suggest you google Carbon3D and Gizmo 3D.

Frankly they are magic. To many, right now. Think what television was perceived as when it was first revealed. It was magic. Google "Magic of TV". Then color TV. It was magic. Xerox machines. They were magic. Computers. They were magic. Cell phones. They were magic. Email. It was magic. My God, you mean you can send a message to someone across the country in minutes instead of days? How is that possible?

Any dramatically new technology is pretty commonly refereed to as "magic" when they first appear. 3D printers are no different. They can do something that has never before been possible for people at home or at work. To many, its magic. When you were a kid, it would have been magic. Now, to your kids, they aren't. To their kids .. it will be "What do you mean you don't have a 3D printer? You live in a cave or something?". Same sort of statement about a kid in the 70's.. "What do you mean you don't have a TV? You live in a cave?".

They are magic. Right now. They will be common and ubiquitous in a few short years.

Personally, I can't wait for the next "magic" thing.
    Last edited by Wolfie; 01-22-2016 at 10:22 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12