Close

Print job not finishing

I am running Slic3r and Repetier host on a LDM printer. For some reason the printer stops printing and goes to home about 3/4 of the way through the last layer. While it prints it shows where the tool path should be going in the host via a red path. For some reason this path is ahead of where the printer actually is resulting in this problem.

Below is a picture of the print. When the printer stopped the host said it was done and the tool path also said it was done printing. I am printing at a relatively slow rate, 25 mm/s. I noticed that at the very beginning of the print the rendering jumps ahead of the printer during the print of the skirt. After that it seems to follow the path correctly, just a third of a layer ahead.

bed.jpg

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    View the gcode in an independent viewer like gcode.ws to see what it looks like. That'll tell you whether there's something wrong with the gcode file vs something wrong with how the gcode is being sent by the host software or processed by the printer.

The tool path view in any host software will rarely be showing exactly what is going on at the printer. The printer will tend to lag behind what the tool path view shows because of buffering in the host interface and/or the printer firmware.

I put the gcode in the link you gave me and it seems to be just fine; it finishes the job. Another observation is that it loses its position after it stops. I tell it to go to park position after it is done printing (x: 0mm, y: 215mm) and it homes on the x axis correctly, but the y axis is off by 50ish mm. After it finishes the last pass it decides to make, it jerks -x a little and then goes in the -y direction (toward the front of the bed) until it bottoms on the endstop. It then goes to x0 (on the endstop) and attempts to go to park (y215). When it makes this move it stops about 50mm short of the correct position. This only happens on the last layer and as soon as the computer rendering is finished.

Thank you for the reply,

-Nick

Today I tried using different hosts and firmwares. I tried Pronterface using the same Marlin firmware and the same gcode I was using before and I got the same result. So this leads me to believe the host is not the problem. Also, since I put the gcode into the gcode viewer and everything seemed to be just as it should I believe Slic3r is working correctly. I re made the gcode file using Slic3r as an external application with no success. I am currently trying to configure Repetier firmware with little success. It homes and moves to the right distances correctly, but when I try to print it homes and stops. I'm not sure what is going on there, possibly a temperature setting. I really don't know. I am running out of ideas of what is could be.

Any help is appreciated, it is quite important that this thing works as it is holding up a major project.

Thank you,
    -Nick

Another update:

I tried a different object to print and it finished the job. I printed a circle with the spiral infill first. After that I tried the same circle with rectilinear with a successful result. Finally, I tried a square with the spiral infill and it finished correctly. Today I drew a different sized square and tried the rectilinear fill pattern and it did not finish it. So I think, for some reason, it just doesn't like squares and rectilinear infill.

-Nick