Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The $500 - CTC Bizer series Dual Nozzle 3D Printer

Picked up one of these last week on ebay from CTCprinter2014.
    printer.JPG
    Fast shipping, all looked well until I saw a USB dongle.

The Dongle says filament usb+
    IMG_2167.jpg
    IMG_2168.jpg

There is a nice yellow sticker that both the seller and the CTC site do not show or mention is the description. It is a proprietary count down timer that runs off the usb. ( Do not plug it into the computer as it will fry it )
    IMG_2169.jpg

so basically you are screwed into waiting for them to ship you overpriced filament after every 150 hours of print time.
    What a scam...
    I thought id share my frustration and warn any new potential buyers that they are about to be scammed by the beginning of the DRM / HASP

but there is hope... for only $10 every 1 hour you can print with extra usb keys! that you can then again wait another week+ for delivery for.
    http://www.ctcprinter.com/product_detail.php?ProId=20
    Product specification:
    Printing time:1 hour
    Weight: about 0.1 kg

Package Size:19 x19x8.5cm
    Filament diameter variation:less than +/-0.1mm
    Print temprature range 170 - 230 celsius(PLA)

I thought id also mention I have emailed the CTC website about this issue and false advertisement / entrapment. Of-course no response... The ebay seller responded and could only offer a discount on the 1 hour usb keys. 4 hours for 35$. It was a nice gesture but im not paying anything more for a lie.

I see CTC is on this forum so hope they can chime in on a workaround or an explanation for the bait and switch.

Today im working on a way to disable or bypass this, if I find one I will update the topic.

Last edited by The_Architect23; 07-14-2015 at 06:34 PM.

Update: seller is willing to send me the old board that doesnt have the USB+ anyone know if there is any incompatibility with new layout vs old models? for example lets say the older model without USB+ didnt have a heated bed. so would i loose the heated bed? any help would be supportive.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    sneaky bastards.

So how does a usb stick stop you using different filament ?

OR does it disable the printer after 150 hours.

Either one doesn't sound like ctc. They're usually pretty decent.

Very odd.

This may be a daft question - but have you actually tried to load some filament without the dongle inserted ?

Senior Engineer
    Well that sucks

So how does a usb stick stop you using different filament ?
    It doesnt. Just counts down from "150 hours" when you run out, you cannot operate the printer anylonger other than to home, and level.

OR does it disable the printer after 150 hours.
    Yes

Either one doesn't sound like ctc. They're usually pretty decent.

Very odd.

This may be a daft question - but have you actually tried to load some filament without the dongle inserted ?
    Yes, I have used 4 colors now, and they all work great. Today I got a replacement ATmega1280 Board no issues without sending out the old first ( make sure it works ) and ill return the USB+ one tomorrow. New "old style" board is printing well. No issues. So I would suggest asking and VERIFYING that the one you intend on purchasing is indeed NOT USB+

Seller ctc3dprinter2014 Was A+ In Resolving the issue. Went from furious to happy. Back to making mods!

Well I would not buy one if I knew it had the usb+ socket fitted, don't ctc realise people want to make their own choice of filament brand they should learn off the inkjet printer suppliers or people will just come up with a workaround for it.

wow i was about to buy one of these printers from ebay also good to know about this before i ordered it

Technician
    Mine didn't come with this USB restriction, glad it didn't!

Add CTC-USA on Facebook Add CTC-USA on Google+
    Please contact our service department for free replacement of the printer or motherboard if you have USB+.

Kind Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by CTC-USA View Post
    Please contact our service department for free replacement of the printer or motherboard if you have USB+.

Kind Regards,
    some constructive criticism that was a bad move to implement the USB+ restriction
    i was literally gonna order a ctc printer as my first printer until i came on here and read about the USB+ fiasco and ended up ordering something else
    the only thing that came to mind was...wow what a greedy company for doing that
    but at least there is some hope for people who got scammed i might buy one if i can find one without the USB+ as it does seem like the printers are solid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast