Close

Filling imperfections during finishing

Does anyone have any suggestion as to filling gaps/cracks/holes/imperfections in ABS prints? As you can see there are little pockmarks in the surface of the print in the photo form where I removed the support material. I don't know what would be best, maybe a liquid filler or putty, maybe plain old contact adhesive. But it needs to be workable i.e. I will need to sand it once it has hardened. Thanks.

20150711_124139.jpg

Technician
    I'd try xtc-3d. Its cheap and does wonders for smoothing any material.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    or the abs filament itself dissolved in acetone. This is the cheapest, simplest and very effective.
    You can make it fairly thick and it will fill holes, even paint it on. Be careful not to make it too thin or it might make holeslarger. Also be careful with the acetone fumes.
    And make sure you've got good ventilation.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    or the abs filament itself dissolved in acetone. This is the cheapest, simplest and very effective.
    You can make it fairly thick and it will fill holes, even paint it on. Be careful not to make it too thin or it might make holeslarger. Also be careful with the acetone fumes.
    And make sure you've got good ventilation.
    Theres a few "be careful"s here. That tells me it's not the simplest way to do it. With xtc-3d you just mix the two parts, paint it on, and go.
    That being said, when I print ABS I will try acetone vapor smoothing because I want to see how well it works, but xtc works on all materials so that'll be my long-term solution.