Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cartesian vs delta vs corexy

Has there ever been a proper comparison conducted between Cartesian, delta and corexy printers. Preferably a proper lab test that pits the three against one another and precisely note the outcomes in various criteria eg. speed, accuracy, electricity consumption, rigidity/structural integrity, maintenance ease, diy, etc? If not then its about time...

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    It's about time someone precisely noted the outcomes among not only different types of printers, but also among different brands of the same type of printer.

Senior Engineer
    Buy me one of each and I will be happy to oblige.

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Buy me one of each and I will be happy to oblige.
    That would only be a sample size of 1 so would not produce statistically testable results.

It is a good idea though. Whether you would be able to distinguish between the different platforms is another matter as this is more than likely going to be swamped by between model variance in precision. You could however test between different models, on the assumption that they where all calibrated as best they could be.

There is a team attempting to do this with 3D printer filament, here is a link to a post the put on our community on google+ where they discuss what they want to do and how they are going to try and do it (there is some discussion in the comments).

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    what's corexy ?

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    what's corexy ?
    Corexy is the slightly different arrangement of belts. All the above use Cartesian coordinates but I believe that you can get 3D printers that use polar coordinates.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    so like the model-t then ?

Banned
    COREXY is so not intuitive. I know practically nothing about it, but when I was reading about this design a couple months back I started to get anxiety, then I stopped the reading. I just don't see what the purposes is other then academics, there is, to designing a printer with this type of configuration. I think it uses one less motor, but how much does a NEMA 17 motor cost these days? 15 bucks?

Someone please stop the insanity.

Cartesian, delta, corexy, oh my!!!

Engineer
    Cartesian for no brainer, and delta requires freaking pain in the butt to calibrate on large print surface. You screwed up, you are pretty sure that large parts instant warp even on PLA.

Personally I'm not convinced by delta printer. They seem incredibly fragile. And having the nozzle at the ends of those long arms seem a recipe for disaster. My opinion. They're certainly fun to watch though.

CoreXY... well they're not exactly taking the world by storm so I guess there must some drawbacks. I heard that they are more precise. But that's anecdotal, I would really like to see a more scientific approach to these tests.

Cartesian is everywhere. Whether its cost, ease of maintenance, whatever... there is probably a bunch of reasons why its still the go-to variant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast