Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Printrbot Metal Plus : prints

Would love to know how you get your nozzles from not drooling during dual extrusions.

Also, is that delamination on your traffic cones?

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    Would love to know how you get your nozzles from not drooling during dual extrusions.
    As to that, it is a very basic but efficient technique : I use the "change tool scripts" to turn down the unused hot end while powering the new one.
    No heat = no oozing.
    No heat = smaller hot end (no thermal expansion) => no idle head colliding with the build.

Admittedly it is an efficient way to do things only in when the 2 colors are completely on different planes. It still works otherwise but it increases print time like hell.

So when I transition from white (hot end 0) :
    M104 S0 T0
    M109 S200 T1

And then the reverse
    M104 S0 T1
    M109 S200 T0

I usually add a little more text to move the head away from the build first and then bring it back (I think it uses G91/G92 and move commands).

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    Also, is that delamination on your traffic cones?
    Unfortunately correct, but this is entirely on my design. I wanted to overdo it and added a "radius chamfer" at the bottom that had a horizontal tangent... therefore it didn't work well since the first layer had nothing to support it. Print didn't fail though so I'll keep it once I fill the hole with compound.

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    As to that, it is a very basic but efficient technique : I use the "change tool scripts" to turn down the unused hot end while powering the new one.
    No heat = no oozing.
    No heat = smaller hot end (no thermal expansion) => no idle head colliding with the build.

Admittedly it is an efficient way to do things only in when the 2 colors are completely on different planes. It still works otherwise but it increases print time like hell.

So when I transition from white (hot end 0) :
    M104 S0 T0
    M109 S200 T1

And then the reverse
    M104 S0 T1
    M109 S200 T0

I usually add a little more text to move the head away from the build first and then bring it back (I think it uses G91/G92 and move commands)
    I have read about this technique, how much longer are we talking?

I want to do some dual extrusion but I will have two colours on the same layer so I think this would make the print incredibly long. Not to mention the PITA of printing hot ABS into sections of already cooled ABS... warp city...

Oh yeah... do you add all that code manually or does the software do it automatically?

S3D adds the code on its own if you put it in the tool change script.
    For my machine it takes about 3 mins to bring the hot end to temp. So if it is only a couple times per print ... No sweat. If you do it at every layer... Better be patient.
    Oh and i only do this with pla and pet... Never tried ABS so far.

A couple more things I made recently :
    1/ a replacement for our waterski fin.
    IMG_20150713_142129.jpg
    2/ a repair for a colleague : fits better than original !
    IMG_20150713_111850.jpg

Sorry for the newbie question... but waterski fin in PLA? Does that not degrade in saltwater? I thought that ABS was better for parts that would be exposed to the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
    Sorry for the newbie question... but waterski fin in PLA? Does that not degrade in saltwater? I thought that ABS was better for parts that would be exposed to the elements.
    Actually, those two were made of PET from Taulmann. I don't know how PLA reacts in seawater, but I think the heat would have been the worst problem. The skis are sometimes left to dry in the sun ... PLA would be less than ideal.

Got it. Thank you for the clarification.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast